1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone use MCM Audio speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by A-train, Aug 17, 2012.

1. A-train

A-train

Nov 22, 2005
    San Antonio,Tx
    Hey guys I need some advice. I have an Eden 212XLT with no speakers in it and I was going to put two Eminence Delta 12 LF's in it but came across the MCM website because of another user here and I was wondering if any one has any expirience with their speakers. I was looking at the 12' cast pro woofer 350w. Their warranty seems ok and the specs aren't to bad. Thoughts?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    MCM makes good drivers, Better than you'd think for the price, but they are not on par with drivers from the big name brands.

The cabinet is designed to work with drivers that have certain Thiele-Small parameters. These parameter vary widely between drivers. And a cabinet designed for 10" drivers is very unlikely to work well with any 12" drivers.

Shoving in any driver in is a crap shoot. Throwing in a cheap driver is a betting less dough. MCM is a good bet, but they have $11 drivers that may work just as well.

Speding time with Winisd can even up the odds.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You're trying to get twelve inch drivers into a box designed for ten inch drivers???

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not gonna work out well I'm afraid. Stick with drivers that are designed to work in THAT cab.

5. A-train

A-train

Nov 22, 2005
    San Antonio,Tx
    No into a 212XLT. I miss typed earlier.

6. A-train

A-train

Nov 22, 2005
    San Antonio,Tx
    After I saw some of your replies I realized that I had typed the wrong thing in. I also have a Eden 210 XST but its the Eden 212 XLT that I need to put some drivers in. I'd seen another guy on here put them into an Avatar 212 and I also spoke with the guys over at Eminence about their recommendations for that size box and they recommended the Delta 12 LF which is what Avatar puts into their 212. I looked at the specs for both

MCM 12- THIELE-SMALL PARAMRTERS
    Resonance Frequency Fs: 36.23 HZ
    DC Resistance Re: 6.3 ohm
    Mechanical Q Factor Qms: 2.823
    Electrical Q Factor Qes: 0.476
    Total Q Factor Qts: 0.407
    Equivalent Cas air load Vas: 121.67 liters
    Surface Area of Cone Sd: 0.0552 m2
    Efficiency Bandwidth Product EBP 89.017
    Voice Coil Over Hang X-max 7 mm

Delta 12-THIELE-SMALL PARAMRTERS
    Resonant Frequency (fs) 55 Hz
    Impedance (Re) 6.3 ohms
    Coil Inductance (Le) 0.74mH
    Electromagnetic Q (Qes) .46
    Mechanical Q (Qms) 5.27
    Total Q (Qts) .43
    Compliance Equiv. Vol. (Vas) 81.3 Liters/2.87cu. ft.
    Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 2.4mm
    BL Factor (BL) 13.5 T-M
    Surface Area Of Cone (Sd) .05195m2

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I bought an MCM 12" driver. It had real low efficency. Something like 89 db. When I tried to turn it up loud enough to hear over the band, the cabinet vibrated so bad it actually moved across the floor. Probably a good woofer for a car system but terrible for pro audio.

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Parts Expess has a lot of drivers, too.

Using something as a "drop-in" is a bad idea. It usually wastes money and adds to the frustration. The first thing I would do is find out why the other one blew and work within the safe operating range of any equipment you have, rather than try to make it do things it's A) not designed for and B) unable to do.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    mcm does list all parametersn, even spl
    Sounds like in your case you had a bad cab design for the driver. Cabs with the right design and bracing are not going to vibrate across the floor.

OP grab winisd and calculate the best driver for the box. you can adjust port tuning.

10. You are putting the cart in front of the horse in this case.
    Until you know the net internal volume, and the actual tuning frequency of the 212-XLT box, you are just guessing.

Q: why not install a fresh pair of Eden drivers?
    These are known to work properly with this box.
    Genuine drivers (with receipts) will not ruin the resale value either.

11. A-train

A-train

Nov 22, 2005
    San Antonio,Tx
    Thanks for your replies guys. I ended up going with a pair of Eminence Delta 12A's.