Anyone use "Monster" cables??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KB, Feb 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Anyone use Monster cables for thier bass? Specifically I am wondering about the newer Monster cables that claim to be specifially designed for bass (Monster Bass cables).
    I am wondering if the bass specific cable is "better" than just regular Monster cables. Also are Monster cables in general better than other cables? I am trying to decide if it is worth spending the money for them (I know the lifetime garantee is nice). Do Monster cables improve the sound any? Right now I just use regular no-name guitar cables. Please let me know any comments you might have (especially about the "bass specific" cables).

2. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I have a Monster Bass Cable and if you are super critical and critique them next to each other, yes, you can hear a difference. Also I am comparing it to a braided cable which is also a good cable. I bought mine because of the no-haggle warranty and I wanted to see if I could hear the difference. To tell you the truth, I always use the braided cable live because the monster is very rigid and sucks to drag around. In a studio situation, I would make sure to use my monster though, probably just because I have it. I personally would go to a store and critique the normal Monster cable (which also has the same lifetime warranty) against the bass specific one and see if it is worth the extra $25 or so dollars.
  3. the monster bass cable does make a difference in sound, it is noticeably darker. however i have not been able to try mine on my good amp, just my crappy practice one, so i can't tell you yet if it sounds good or not. however, i can tell you that it seems extremely sturdy, and the fact that it's guaranteed for life means you'll pretty much never have to buy another cable. some say it's not worth the price, but i think if you have the money, go for it.
  4. I used to use generic music store cables, or Whirlwinds, and I'd have to replace them every few months. Three years ago, I took the plunge and bought two Monster Bass cables, and I haven't had any trouble with either one. They've easily paid for themselves.
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    OK I gave in an bought the Monster Bass cable. It is a very solid cable. There is a slight sound improvement over my cheapy store brand cables I was previously using. The sound seems slightly crisper and a little deeper. It is subtle, but there is a difference. I am not sure if it was worth the money, but now that I have it with it's lifetime garantee I am not going to worry about it.
    Thanks for the advice

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I was a skeptic.

But when I bought my new Zon, I needed a good cable. I like to have one for every bass.

So, I figured, hey, the bass was almost 2 grand, what's $39 bucks for a cable, right?(12 footer)

Through my Eden, I can hear a difference between this and the last cable I bought, a heavy guage GC branded cable, 20 foot, nice heavy cable, about $19.

So, I will soon be buying a 21 footer for use on oldies gigs with the Pedulla.
  7. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah,but I draw the line with their $100 1000 series stuff 'cause I don't hear $60 worth of difference.
  8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I considered Monster Cable but choked on the price a little as well as reports of failures. My son has three; two he bought failed; one had cold solder joints at both ends and the other just inexplicably died.

Recently picked up a couple George L's and am very pleased with them. Thought solderless ends were for wussies, but they are very intelligently and solidly designed. They also, according to tests I've read, have the lowest capacitance of most any cable.

Nice compact ends and sound very transparent, with better highs, compared to my other good quality cables (homemade Canare/Switchcraft and others). Mars has them for $25.99 for a 20' one; I cut 6' off because that's all I needed, and am using the leftover to wire other things. Nice cable.

They also have a kit w/5' of cable and 10 ends ($46) for wiring pedal boxes or racks, also nice -- wired in my compressor in just a couple minutes using the solderless ends.

Worth considering. My .02.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I started a thread similar to this when I was upgrading my cables.

First, I got some George L's. IMO, for the money, you can't beat `em. However, if you go to , notice they the actual cable comes in two different sizes, .155 and .225.

In further investigation, I read about 24k gold jacks on cables and the virtues of those. A friend of mine, who was a heavy duty science guy in college, told me that if a metallurgist was to sit down and figure out the optimum material for conducting an audio/electrical(?) signal, he would come up with gold. In critical listening situations, such as practicing by myself or in studio, my gold jack cable gets an even more robust signal than the George L's. Other than that, say in a loud club situation, it wouldn't be any more useful than using a high end Glockenklang for an amp.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have George L's, Monster Bass, and DiMarzio cables. I can't tell the difference. My gear sounds so good, it can overcome the deficiencies, whether real or imagined, in pretty much any cable. Ol' Kevin Walker used to just rip my fanny every time I said something like this over in the now-defunct Lakland Forum. He was the consummate gear head. Liked them $3,000 cables and stuff.

OK, boys, rip away!
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've tried 'em when I worked @ Sam Ash. Yes, their is a <b><u>SLIGHT</b></u> difference. Not enought to make me want to spend about $25 more. The rep gave one to me free & I gave it away. Why do you need a lifetime warranty on a cable? The only problem I've ever had w/cables was as simple as resoldering it back. If you want to spend $50+ on a cable, be my guest. That's too much for me. I use Spectraflex for the last 8 yrs, & I've NEVER had a problem w/it!!! That cost me a little over $20. It's all a scam to get our money.
  12. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    I have a 21' monster bass cable that I recieved as a gift. The no hassle warranty is more appealing to me than the slight difference in sound qaulity.
  13. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I have both instrument and XLR Monsters and they do the job well. 30 years ago I wrote a "Bad cord blues" piece and cables have always presented a challange. Although the initial cost is high the 'peace of mind' with Monsters is worth it to me.
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

BP did a "Face Off:Cords" a little over 7 years ago where they compared Westwood Elec. KMB Bassline, Monster Cable Bass, & ProCo Excelline.

In the comments section, they had a preface which said, "Subtlety is the key word when describing the differences between (sic) these cables."

Their take was;

- ProCo Excelline 18 1/2' @ $21; "Surprisingly, ProCo's cable," (it was standard instrument cable, not designed exclusively for bass), "displayed many of the same good qualitites as the expensive models; it was bright and crisp and reproduced the bottom admirably well."

- KMB 21' @ $90; "had more brillance than the other two

- Monster 18 1/2' @ $50; "very full sounding and had nice presence in the top end."

"...Are the high-end cables worth the money? In the short run, they definitely sound a bit better. But in the long run is the true test, and this is where high-end cables triumph over their cheaper counterparts...don't forget to include some ducats for good cables, too."
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I use Monster cables between my preamp and poweramp. I also use a Monster instrument cable. Never had a problem with them. I would think that the difference in sound would be more apparent on higher end equipment.
  16. Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Monster cables basically come in 100, 500 and 1000 series. I figured that the 100 are not much better than most other cables and aren't worth the money. The 500 are a bit thicker, sound better and include the Jazz, Rock, Bass, etc. instrument cables. They are on the expensive side, but if you record, it's worth it. The 1000 are really thick (python) and nice, but the price made me rule them out (>$100 for an instrument cable?)
  17. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I bought one a few months ago and had it die for no apparent reason after about two weeks. First time that's ever happened to me with ANY cable I've ever bought. Misplaced the receipt so I didn't even try to take it back to Guitar Center (or as I call it, "Teenage Wasteland").

For the brief period of time that it did work, I noticed a difference between the Monster and the cable I was replacing. (Of course, that's WHY I was replacing the old cable. :D ) Maybe I should get off my lazy butt and go through the hassle of returning it.

18. Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    Hey red,

I just took back a monster without a receipt to guitar center and They replaced it, no questions asked.

As for the cables... I LOVE MY MONSTER CABLES. the 500 and 1000 are very impressive. I love the sound, I love the duribility, and I love the soldering on it. They are works of art.
  19. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I have the speaker cable and a svideo cable from those guys. The one thing I really don't like is the control they have over the selling price. Has anyone ever gotten a deal on these things?

Not worth the extra money . . . but yes very well made.

20. just got home from college and tried out my monster cable with the SWR combo, and i'm loving the sound. it is a subtle difference, but again, peace of mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.