Anyone use new-school drum machines (Korg electrotribe / Boss / ect)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Speedbird, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I'm trying to spice-up my one man jam sessions and keep looking at these new-school "drum machines". (Drum machine
    + sampler+ effects ect.) There are several different ones, but I'm looking at the Korg Electrotribe or a similar one by Boss. They run from $300 - $500. Are they effective tools or just an overpriced metranome?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this - I use a Roland MC-303 "groovebox" which allows you to programme in a drum track and 7 other tracks (from synth and samples sounds - you can also modify these in real time) and create your own backing tracks. I find it very useful for practising adding basslines and solos to songs that I otherwise have not heard, but have been given the music for. Also for composing original stuff and even as a metronome to practice with.
  3. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I have a Roland JX-305 keyboard that is basically built around the MC-505 platform. I purchased this to learn a little about keyboard and for tunesmithing. But it's a lot of fun as a jamming partner. Never late… never pilfers my beer and girlfriends… never needs a shower.

I still love a real, good, drummer. It's just not always convenient to get together with other people. I tell you no device will shadow the influence I had living with a drummer and keyboard player in a jam house…we played almost every day, but that was years ago.

It’s a bit of work getting familiar with how to compose on a box developed by a combination of engineers and musicians… It helped me a little to be have used other Roland electronic music product in the past. If you go this route, expect to spend some of your free time with the manual just scratching your head. I'm not sure if time is better spent reading sheet music from bass players of yesteryear. Another way to go is to purchase software for your computer for composing, at least you can do this in front of music staff with notes you can see.

It seems to me that a used digital drum machine or a low end unit like the one by Zoom might be nice. I got a super deal on my keyboard but long for sampling.

In the past I have used a delay to play along with, I think this does a lot for your timing.

The other day, a friend that was leaving for New York City to try and make it as a jazz guitarist. He offered to trade his Ensong ASR sampler/composer for my 37 year old Fender Jaguar…a very tempting and impressive unit, but no thanks!

One thing about investing in Digital gear… for the most part it devalues in a short time. That’s one reason for finding used gear makes sense especially if you get a manual with it.

Also I think that in short time sequencing, sampling, groove devices, and effects will dovetail into digital recording and CDR, so that a single rack unit will encompass a whole studio.

If you needed to become more familiar with this kind of stuff, the Drum machine museum is a need place to start…

Or try:

Try not to spend too much time (or $) away from the bass, just twiddling knobs, and by all means
    good luck!