Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone use or own a BAD MONKEY?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Sep 16, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    does anyone use a bad monkey overdrive on bass guitar? does it get a tube screamer or sparkle drive sound?

2. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I got one a couple of days ago.

So far, things are going very, very well. It's got the tubescreamer sound, with a bit of midrange emphasis. I've never tried the Sparkle Drive. The Bad Monkey has replaced the DOD 250 on my board.

This pedal is great for bass - It doesn't just keep your lows... it can *boost* them. Sounds great.

I got mine for £25 ($40ish), and for that price I must say it should be criminal not to at least consider it.

3. Yeah I tried this out briefly in a shop and was pretty impressed with it, good kinda breakup and thicker distortion but not very fizzly. Not really bright enough for me but i like a roaring scream :D

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I bought one about 4 months ago, and I love it. I'm not really much of an effects users, but for a fun and good OD that doesn't suck the low end out of your sound, I can't complain.

Especially at the price...

Jason

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I haven't bought mine... yet! ;) If I have time I might go pick it up this weekend.

After hearing some samples here on TB I decided to check it out myself locally. All I can say is WOW! I really, really like it. It is thick without being to bright like alot of other OD/distortions out there. For around $40 this is the best OD on the market IMO. Heck, it is better than some that will cost you three times as much!

If I pick it up, I'll work on some samples to post up.

6. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    wow that sounds great. im going to pick one up as well then. i just need something to lay down a bit of grit whilst the guitarist takes a solo and was considering the fulltone bass driver but is there that much difference?

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey Kelly - where (on what thread) are those samples located? I searched, but no luck.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Right here:Bass OD tone... Your opinion? (clip inside)

It looks like he pulled the sample of it though :meh: PM him and maybe he can send it to you.

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.