1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use PA subs as a main bassrig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gold_member_321, Jun 11, 2007.

1. My question is has anyone ever used a PA moniters/subs as a main bass rig? Ive got some extra cash laying around, and Ive been looking for something worth spending it on for a while now, and if this kind of setup would work sufficiently, does anyone have any suggestions for cabs and power/pre amps?

2. Ive been playing through a JBL PA main at practice for the last week. It does the job pretty well, i even looked into it myself. I think it was one of the jbx series.

3. I like JBLs sound but I've heard they tend to blow at highvolumes, could just be people talking, Not sure though.

4. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    a sub with a crossover does indeed look appealing. I believe a Turbosound txd-118 ata good price would lead to serious GAS. Some of the powered ones seem good, in another thread of mine someone recommended a Mackie powered sub.

5. Yes.
    The rehearsal PA system basically is my rig, and a condensed version for live.

My main amp is a yorkville AP3400. 1000 watts+ per side.... really powerful. gobs of headroom and never falters. The current draw is high and it has set off current breakers in the basement if too much stuff is on the cicruit.
    I got it used for 400 and I would think it outperforms anything in the sub $800 class new.

Volume wise I can keep up with a cranked 412 with the yorkville and 2 subs and a 115 top, and some overdrive in the tone.

I run two subs from one side and one or two tops on the other channel...a stereo eq acts as crossover at the moment.

PA tops don't have tweeter attentuators, so taming the highs can be an issue. The top sits on the 2 subs at head level, so don't have the problem of the highs going into the back of ones legs.

I have a 4 channel TOA rack mixer I use for the live version, sansamp runs into that. The TOA was v cheap and used from the 80's.

6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I've been playing a BagEnd ELF (now INFRA) sealed box 118 PA cab underneath a DrBass 2060 (212 w/ 6" and horn) for a couple of years. Hands down, the best rig I've ever owned or played. The ELF cabs are sealed and use a rack-mounted "integrator" that processes the signal to gain extended low freq's down to about 10hz (inaudible). I have mine set not to venture below 25hz. That's probably lower than I want. The sub only goes up to about 125 Hz, where the 212 takes over. Loud, clear, tube growl from my Alembic F1-X pre sounds great.

Signal chain is: Alembic F1-X (w/ Alembic SF-2 in effect loop)--> signal is then split: (1) ELF integrator --> Ch 1 of QSC PLX 2402--> BagEnd 118 cab and (2) other half of split goes directly to Ch1 of 2402 --> 212 cab.

7. I used to use a large PA speaker (two-way with crossover)cabinet.
    Until I blew the hell out of the 18" sub and the horn.
    The 18" was an eminence, but I'm unsure of the brand of horn or cab.
    It was rated at a "lowly" 800w @ 8ohms - a lot more than i was putting into it (around 500w @ 8ohms) - but it just didn't respond well to bass frequency was my guess.
    Since then - I've only used dedicated bass drivers.

8. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I use a JBL SF-25 (2 fifteens + tweeter) as my main bass cabinet for years and never had any problems except that it hisses a lot (or it's my svt4-pro that hisses, I'll have to figure out someday...)

9. cheesybass

cheesybass

Apr 10, 2005
    Back in the 70's my rig consisted of an Ampeg V4B into an Ampeg V6 (2x15") and a Peavey 18" cab with a Cerwin-Vega speaker in it. I'll never forget my bell bottom jeans flapping in the breeze generated by that cabinet! :)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021