1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone use Quarter Pounders for P bass with an STC-3M tone circuit?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JJThunder, Jun 9, 2012.

1. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi. Yeah long winded title but its a long winded question lol.

Im looking into upgrading a Squier P Bass with Seymour Duncan electronics and pickups because the Squier pups and electronics are pretty much shot.

I was looking into Quarter Pounders however to replace the stock pots and electronics i was hoping to use something like the STC-3M3 tone circuit. It recommends it on the Seymour Duncan website saying that it can work with precision basses and any other single pickup bass and not just the musicman style bass it was designed for. However i was wondering if anyone out there had used them together or installed them in a bass. If so what are they like together? Do they work well and how easy are they to install?

2. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012
    Bump...

3. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

Jan 10, 2013
    Texas
    I found this thread doing a search, since I'm thinking about doing the same. Did you try the stc-3m3? If so, what did you think?

4. About the SPB-3 ONLY BUY IF YOU WANT A SCOOPED AND GRINDY PUNK/ROCK TONE!

5. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    hey the very scooped tone, loads of low end and tops, lacks mids, i hAve a roger waters p bass with them, use them for my rock stuff that i do, i also have a mim p bass with spb1 very traditional tone👍

if the p bass u have is ur only p , go sbp1...

my 2c

6. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

Jan 10, 2013
    Texas
    I've already got the QP pup in my pbass, had it for a few years. I'm curious how well the active eq works with it.

Incidentally, I've found that if you use the tone and volume knobs and amp settings (and don't forget your fingers) you can get more than just a grindy punk rock tone out of the QP. I can dial in just about anything from vintage tones to a Vic Wooten funky tone. Of course I can put all the knobs wide open and get the grindy punk rock tone.

If the stc-3m3 can shape all those tones onboard, instead of requiring a trip to the amp, then I'm sold.

7. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I've got a SD QP P pickup in a Warmoth swamp ash/maple Precision. I find it to be a very hot pickup with a wide frequency range. It seems like an old school Precision type of sound, only "on steroids", with more lows, mids and highs. I don't really see the need to add a preamp to this particular pickup as it is very live sounding as it is. Of course, YMMV.