Anyone use rack mount graphic EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Nov 13, 2005.

1. I'm not thinking of spending a while lot of $$ on this -- mono band, rack mount equalizer. (It would look nice in my rack!) I am thinking mainly of pulling down "wolf notes" where I run into this here and there. I remember one gig where G on 4th string rattled everything in the place. I liked it, but this annoyed some people. With a 3 eq's per octave, I could have tweaked it a little.
  2. I use all Rane 31-band EQ. They are professional quality, plentiful, and inexpensive on eBay all the time.

My high end EQ is a Rane GE30. It is an "interpolating" model, hence the high end. The Rane datasheet explains it all.

My standard EQ are multiple Rane ME30B units. Note the "B" suffix, as this indicates the current production model. Apparently there are multiple versions of B hardware. Look at the face of the current model and use it as a visual guide when buying a used ME30B.

Rane uses all balanced XLR connections for hum free operation. All offer greater than unity gain, so they will compensate for weak preamp outputs, such as my SWR IOD, trying to drive a QSC power amp.
  3. Very cool. I was thinking of running this throught the efx loop on my amp since I normally don't run any efx models or anything so the sort.
  4. I use a Rane ME30 31 band graphic EQ in my rack. Mine has 1/4 inch balanced TRS ins and outs. Like bgavin said they are high quality and inexpensive on the used market. It is shocking how much their value depreciates! I don't get it but from a buyers perspective it's nice. :bassist:

BTW I run mine after the preamp output and it helps me with the low output of the Ampeg SVP-CL.
  5. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    My personal experience is that although it may seem less intuitive at first sight, a parametric eq is more useful for this than graphic. Set narrow Q, huge boost or cut, play that note and dial into the exact frequency. Once you hit that frequency sweet spot, adjust boost/cut to do away with any resonance.

Very simple if you understand what the controls are for, way more precise than graphic. Haven't touched the graphic eq in my amp anymore since I got me a parametric.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

+1. I like the Ashly, Symetrix, Rane, and DBX ones all fine for bass applications. The Ashly has the nicest feature set, and runs ~$200 or less used.
  7. But since the question was concerning a graphic EQ, I use an ART 451 single 31-band EQ in my rack post Demeter very nice and really helps tame any boominess or muddiness that the room/stage might cause.

Since a good deal of my house volume is PA driven, I use a parametric EQ as in insert for that channel to tweak the house sound.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Another cost effective 31 bander is the older DBX one, I have one in my PA rack which splits to 2 X 15 if needed as well. These regularly go for less than $100 used.
  9. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    Mine is a 2x2 band TC Electronic, also doing fine on bass. And another nice parametric is their 1x 4 band (way more common than the 2x2).
  10. +100

You can dial in exactly the center, the width, and the cut necessary for any room with the parametric. You are stuck with the centers, widths set at the factory when you're using a graphic.

11. interesting. interesting. A rack mt parametric might do it. The eden combo i had, had a parametric but I don't think it had sharp enough Q. You could dial in the freqs, but not slope. I never could do a whole lot with it no matter what I tried, so i ended up leaving everthing flat, with the exception of boosting around 42 hz about 3 db's or so.