Anyone use Sims Super Quad Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kevan Campbell, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey, I ran across an ad for these a bit ago and was curious if anyone here uses them or has any firsthand experience with them? Do they do P, J & humbucker tones convincingly? I haven't seen much at all about them on TB and didn't know if they're just relatively unknown or if it was one of those "better in theory" ideas that doesn't work well in the gigging world.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Mark here did a review of them on an Enfield bass. The pickup voicings get demoed around the 9:40 mark.

3. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you for that video, I hadn't seen that one before. They seem to do a decent job approximating each pickup but don't seem to "nail it" to my ears. Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
  5. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Has anyone tossed them into a bass yet?

seedokebass likes this.
  6. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Also curious... entertaining the idea of putting one in a bass I just got.

7. thumbs&fingers

thumbs&fingers Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Illinois
    Same?

8. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Bump?

9. Hawk99TA

Hawk99TA

Jan 5, 2018
    Salisbury, NC
    I have a pair in hand as well as the jigs to install. I have a jazz bass build planned. Right now I'm still getting all the parts together...so I'll let you know in the future.

10. Gabe7539

Gabe7539 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I've played a friend's bass with these pickups in them. To my ears the pickup variations sound traditional to the pickups they're trying to emulate (Fender P, Fender J, Musicman/G&L Humbucker). IMO slapping a set of these in an old used bass is a good deal for the person moving past the beginner instrument or trying to get rid of some basses; you can have a bass that does all the traditional sounds for under $1k. However they're not for the person looking for a more specific sound, e.g. EMG, Aguilar, Bartolini, Delano, etc. It's a jack of all trades, master of none, and there are alternatives. I have a Fernandes Mockingbird copy that can reproduce every sound the Sims pickups can do and more.

11. DC in ATX

DC in ATX Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Bump. Did this come together?

12. Hawk99TA

Hawk99TA

Jan 5, 2018
    Salisbury, NC
    I'm so close. Life got busy for me. It won't be long. I've got the body done. I think I'm just gonna clear coat it cuz the wood grain is so beautiful. I chose a Glockenklang preamp and it's a little tall so I have to figure out what I'm gonna do about that. See pics. Any ideas? received_2641456255955501.jpeg received_358084538495655.jpeg received_1195942350740027.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. 2 spring to mind.

1. If you've enough body left in the controls cavity, cut a slot for the PCB to sit in.
    2. Try different concentric knobs or grip the outer ring in a vice and countersink the under side. Think you'd only get about 2mm with the countersink method.

Hawk99TA likes this.
  14. Hawk99TA

Hawk99TA

Jan 5, 2018
    Salisbury, NC
    Ok. So I finished her up. Shes's amazing. The pickups are amazing. So many tonal possibilities. 1220201357a~2.jpg 1220201853~2.jpg

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022