Anyone use the Avatar Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeluch, Jan 9, 2005.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Looking to buy the Avatar Neo 2x10 and an Ashdown 300 mag.
    Has anyone used this cab? I am wondering about the sound being too sterile. I like the more classic vs hi-fi sound and was looking for input. Thanks
  2. I use a Neo 2x10. I'm quite impressed with the weight and size of the cab. Even if the cab sounded terrible, I still wouldn't mind it for the small price tag and size.

Sound-wise, it's pretty decent. I feel that it handles the open E with plenty of definition, though I'm not sure how much farther it could down to a low b (like very many 2x10's can...). I feel that the amp is relatively flat (compared to my Crate BFX 100 that is). For a particularily tasty tone, a little EQing much be used.

The tweeter which si everyones main gripe isn't too big of a deal at 1/4 power. I honestly don't notice it too much, then again, I don't play with distortion.

It's not the cab to end all cabs, but for the price and size and sound, it's an solid, good cab. Sound-wise, decent, mobility, excellent.
  3. the neo's are supposed to have less midrange than the deltas i've heard.
  4. I've been playing hard with my new B210 NEO the past three days...nothing but pleased with the way it sounds along with the Peavey 1x15 combo (300watt)...nice tone and it responds well to the EQ.

Well made, great service - kudos for Dave.

5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't feel bad if your 2x10 doesn't take lows too well.......I've never played one that can handles lows well enough to be used as a standalone, especially not an 120+dB. Even my Eden 210 XLT struggles and yet I read many reviews that say it can do it. Mine just farts unless I add an extension speaker to help it. Maybe the reviewers play in bands that aren't as loud as mine, but I've certainly player in bands that are louder...........
  6. At the volumes I've played (decently loud) it doesn't fart. I think a test is in the plans now. Lets see if I can make that thing go kablooey (just kidding, I'll check how loud before it farts though).
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    WOW! Your band must play REALLY LOUD on stage! Personally, I'd never use one lonely 210 on stage, but I have a pair of the Eden 210XLT's and could not be any happier. Tons of lows, that are well defined and clear, not muddy like with 15's (IMHO). Super punchy and powerfull. I have fed with both my EBS HD350 and my 700W GK 1001RB-II and have had no problems whatsoever keepin up with two guitar players and a loud drummer. I mostly play 5's, including some monsters like Roscoe, Zon, and MTD, and the B string is just fine thru them.

In short, if you're gonna' get that loud you're gonna' have to move more air than one pair of 10's can move. There's a reason the SVT cabs had 8-9 speakers in them. Doesn't mean the smaller speakers can't do lows, just means you have to implement them right. :)
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually this band is about as quiet as a rock band can possibly be. I'm using 4x10's, as you are, and it's fine. 2x10's won't cut it unless I cut the lows and put up with the thin sound.