anyone use the WorkingMan's 10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chi42069, May 27, 2003.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    I've been researching for my first bass amp. I'm moving into an apartment soon, so i need an amp that will be good for practice. But i also want some gigging capabilities.

I think the SWR WorkingMan's 10 combo would be good. It has 80 watts pushing a 10 inch speaker. Plus i would plan on buying the 1 X 10 cab to get more volume/power. The price seems pretty good, $329 is musicians friend, $159 for extension cab.

The only thing im concerned with, is the 10 inch speaker. I've read somewhere on this forum that i should go with at least a 15 inch speaker and at least 100 watts.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    honestly i tried the wm 10 and found that i could get it to overdrive too easy
    the wm 12 is a wonderful combo (and i hate combos) and so is the wm 15
    i cant pick a favorite between the two
  3. Dman

Jan 25, 2002
    i have used this combo befor, and i do likr the way it sounds i was realy pushing it at pratice. Even with the ex cab

save and get the WM 15.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    the WM 12 and 15 are amazing. im a head/cab guy., but these amps really rock.
    always look for used gear.
  5. Bennos

May 28, 2003
    Reading, England
    I'm still using a WM 10, I think it's fantastic, and I don't even have the extension cab.
    All the SWR amps have this groovy little dial on them called the ' Aural Enhancer', which a)Enhances the sound by I think boosting bass and treble, basically making a passive bass sound active and b) really makes me laugh cos I think aural enhancer is a silly name. hee hee hee

As far as gigging is concerned, I've used it many a time and it's fine, but try and mic it rather than Di it cos the direct out is pre-eq.

Plus, with your wattage worries, if you get the extension cab the combined output is 100W anyway, i'm pretty sure.
  6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I use mine for practicing and low level gigs. I don't use it when I'm playing with a drummer.
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I too prefer the WM12 over the WM10. The 10 breaks up to easily, and doesn't handle low bass all that well (to me). The 12 is a much better gigging amp. The WM15 is too heavy for me, but has a nice sound.