Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone use the WorkingMan's 10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chi42069, May 27, 2003.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    I've been researching for my first bass amp. I'm moving into an apartment soon, so i need an amp that will be good for practice. But i also want some gigging capabilities.

I think the SWR WorkingMan's 10 combo would be good. It has 80 watts pushing a 10 inch speaker. Plus i would plan on buying the 1 X 10 cab to get more volume/power. The price seems pretty good, $329 is musicians friend, $159 for extension cab.

The only thing im concerned with, is the 10 inch speaker. I've read somewhere on this forum that i should go with at least a 15 inch speaker and at least 100 watts.

peace

chi

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    honestly i tried the wm 10 and found that i could get it to overdrive too easy
    the wm 12 is a wonderful combo (and i hate combos) and so is the wm 15
    i cant pick a favorite between the two

3. Dman

Dman

Jan 25, 2002
    NJ
    i have used this combo befor, and i do likr the way it sounds i was realy pushing it at pratice. Even with the ex cab

save and get the WM 15.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    the WM 12 and 15 are amazing. im a head/cab guy., but these amps really rock.
    always look for used gear.

5. Bennos

Bennos

May 28, 2003
    Reading, England
    I'm still using a WM 10, I think it's fantastic, and I don't even have the extension cab.
    All the SWR amps have this groovy little dial on them called the ' Aural Enhancer', which a)Enhances the sound by I think boosting bass and treble, basically making a passive bass sound active and b) really makes me laugh cos I think aural enhancer is a silly name. hee hee hee

As far as gigging is concerned, I've used it many a time and it's fine, but try and mic it rather than Di it cos the direct out is pre-eq.

Plus, with your wattage worries, if you get the extension cab the combined output is 100W anyway, i'm pretty sure.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I use mine for practicing and low level gigs. I don't use it when I'm playing with a drummer.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I too prefer the WM12 over the WM10. The 10 breaks up to easily, and doesn't handle low bass all that well (to me). The 12 is a much better gigging amp. The WM15 is too heavy for me, but has a nice sound.