Anyone use those finger weights?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kosko, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    You've probably all seen them in magazines. They're those gold pieces of metal you wear like rings. One for each finger and they workout your hands more while playing, or whatever your doing. Kind of like using a bat with those heavy rings on it before stepping up to the plate. Anyone ever use them? They worth it?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Those are for beginners. I strap volkswagens to my fingers.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I thought they were just advertised to identify the less intelligent part of the demographic?
    You don't need strong fingers to play bass, you need strong ears.
  4. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    True, and the muscle ability that you develop playing the bass has more to do with control than sheer strength. The only way to develop bass muscles is to play bass.
  5. So what do I wear to get those? Earrings? :eyebrow:
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ha ha ha ha ha
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I havn't seen them, can anyone add some pictures if possible?
  8. no...but i do use a GripMaster. it helps cure bordem at work as well as keeps my hands and fingers strong.
  9. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Same here. I doubt it really helps my playing, but it does help warm my hands up before playing.

10. I guess I'm the only one that finds this funny... (new sig btw)
  11. Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    I totally laughed when I saw that because I pictured it lol.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you must use one of those gripmasters, be sure to use the lightest one. The heavier ones can be destructive to your hands no matter how strong you think your fingers are. The light ones more accurately replicate how most bass strings feel, unless your action is abnormally high, anything more will be useless.

As ed says, you don't need strong fingers to play bass. As long as you can fret the notes cleanly, you're fine.
  13. Ed Fuqua said:
    I'm sure that's essentially true. However, I'm sure there's always a gain to be had from improving the muscles that move the fingers. It's just that I doubt weights are the answer.

In every area of movement that I can think of - mainly sport at the moment - players take excercise supplementary to the main purpose because just repeating the main purpose isn't sufficient on it's own to build the muscle / stamina / etc. Eg. I'm sure almost all sports people use a gymn to do all sort of different excercises no matter what sport they play.

I think, therefore, there must be something a bassplayer can do to improve muscle / stamina... It's just that I don't know what it is!

14. Ok, i see your point, if your trying to immate playing and work and stamina...but im trying to keep my hands strong. I use the the medium tension (red) one and its gets my muscles cramped after about 20-30 min...which with the lighter ones it would probably take double that time. and im going for muscle growth more then stamina at the moment. you think the heavier ones really do damage?
  15. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    if i were to do any kind of auxilary workout for bass i think i'd be wrist curls. I've never had my hand get sore on me its always been my forearm.
  16. thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004

would you be able to explain how that works?
  17. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Practice Practice Practice.

18. bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    For reference, I'm a certified fitness trainer, and not one of those chain gym idiot "trainers". The gripmaster grippers aren't enough resistance to actually get your hands stronger, if you can crank out more than 15 reps, your just working on endurance. If you want a strong gripper, check out
  19. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I just don't get it...

Why do people believe that you need to gain muscle strength to play an instrument???

Really! How much strength does it take to press a string down to a fret/fingerboard and pluck it? If anything; you need dexterity and coordination, not strength.

When I saw the finger weights in a catalog; I though to myself, "I know that a musician didn't invent these things."