Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use TL Audio?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jul 10, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's a UK company that likes their tubes. Anyone out there use their stuff?

If you've heard of a group called the Cat Empire (from over here), I was talking to their bassist Ryan, and ask him what pre he was using (Couldn't see from the crowd at the gig), he e-mailed back and told me it's a 'TL Audio Ivory 5051'. He uses it in conjunction with two Acme B2's and a single space QSC power amp.

This thing sounded simply awesome. He did a solo towards the end (he is the only strings in the band BTW) and when he hit the low notes, the back of my throat was just vibrating. It was incredible, I felt like I was being moved from the inside (And the Acme's were on milkcrates)! What's more, he had it set flat! He plays an upright, or a P and everything sounded sweet through it.

Anyway, I quite like the look of the EQ (selectable 60-12k pots (4 of them) then a -12/+12db cut/boost for each) and compressor on it as well, heres a shot:
    http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/tlaudio/images/pressroom/hi_rez/ivory_2_5051.jpg

It's a big pic though.

So yeah, anyone out there know of the stuff, or use it? I was very impressed (with the B2's as well :p)

2. Looks interesting I remember looking at their Fatman range for preamp use.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, Ryan said it was one of the best preamp's he's played through. He's a jazz cat, and it was one sweet sound he had going.

If you ever check up out, let me know...

Anyone else?