Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone used an Avalon VT-737sp?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Apr 25, 2005.

1. I've heard stax of great things about these units from a wide range of musicians and mates with small time studios. But I'm just wondering how this thing holds up for bass... does it have the balls where it counts? or is it more suited for the tenor range instruments?

2. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    What are you trying to achieve, for $1500 you can buy two killer units and have more flexibility. Fro example Empirical Labs Distressor + Avalon U5.

I own Avalon U5 and love it. I also heard a couple bass tracks which were run thru 737, very fat, tuby and round sound.

Cheers

3. lasher69

lasher69

Mar 1, 2011
    Amarillo Tx
    The VT-737sp definately holds up for bass in the studio. However you're not going to get a high gain distortion which is featured in many current bass rigs. Instead it produces an amazing sparkling clean with with plenty of bottom end. It's a phenomenal tool for recording pure bass as well as many other applications. For that matter it can be used along with a pwr amp with good damping factor for an amazing live rig. Although i'd never recommend this set up for touring. It belongs in the stable environment of a studio. But talk about cutting through the live mix with a finished / produced bass tone!!!

4. If you are lucky enough to own an Avalon 737sp, not only you can record some professional studio quality bass tracks but pretty much to record anything else. They used it when I recorded at The Annex Studios in Menlo Park Ca. It is amazing. Now if it is only to record bass, the Avalon U5 is the way to go

5. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The instrument input sounds great on bass, but the compressor and eq sections are underwhelming. For that kind of money you could get a REDDI and a BAE desktop preamp and have cash to spare.

6. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i use them in my rig, i do not think the u5 is the way to go, its a good direct box but the tone controls are pre set, its not as flexable as the 737. it has no compressor. true, the compressor is not as good as other high dollar studio compressors, but it blows away the behiringers and ones built into amplifiers. i do not find the eq undewhelming, they are much more versatile than the ones built into amps. the 737's are in every major studio. there is a reason for that. the above mentioned reddi/ bae setup has very little flexibility, i do not see any tone controls. im not sure if your looking for a bass preamp, or the preamp between the speakers and the mixing desk. either way it would work fine. johnny a.

7. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    I think the reason it's in all the major studios has more to do with the hype it had a few years ago when it came out. If you need tone controls, the new API channel strip would be a better bet.

8. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    no, studios dont buy stuff on hype, im talking about the major studios. if they did, it wouldent last long in there. if session after session goes by and the producers keep saying they need something (an sp737) rented eventually the studio just buys some. franky i dont think the new api strip has the reputation the avalon has, but a few years will tell. it says its a mic pre, whereas the avalon is for instruments/line/mics. lets not forget about the tube factor... either way, you should audition one before buying. the bass shelving control is a nice feature. johnny a.

9. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, usually this is the final choice after try any other preamp in the studio. I just plug my bass into it before the Protools interface..and it always sounds excellent. If I can afford it, I'll even bring it to the stage when play live.

10. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    The API has a 1/4 input and sounds great on bass. The compressor and eq are light years more musical than the Avalon.

11. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    IMHO they're both excellent preamps. It's a matter of taste, character needs, etc.
    But that's only my 2 cents.
    Peace yo :D

12. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Talking bout EQ, I still think that The Neve 1073 (the real one) is still the best I ever experience.
    Also Pultec 1A3 and George Massenburg Lab Parametric.
    For vintage compressor I'll vote on Urei 1176 the black face. Sounds great on bass :)
    But they are very2 rare to find in any studio today.
    So Avalon is the way I do my session now.

My 2 cents.

13. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    have you checked out the Millennia TD-1 ?

It's a smaller box and sounds amazing both live and in the studio

14. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes it's excellent :)
    Haven't yet try it in my recording sessions, only saw it in an exhibition demo. Very nice tho

15. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    I'm not sure what your application will be, but I use a TD-1 regularly live and in the studio.

In live situations, I use it either with the Bergantino powered 112 speaker cabinet or when I'm playing upright bass I use a microphone through the HV-3 pre section into a powered QSC speaker.

I've used it in the studio as well. Engineers love it.

Every time I plug it in it brings a smile to my face. It's an amazing sounding little preamp with an incredibly musical EQ and lots of useful features (phase flip, tube or ss, impedence selection, re-amp, etc).

When I was shopping for preamps, the Millennia stood out for its sound but also its portability. It's a 1/2 rack type unit and I got a nice padded bag from Staples to carry it around in. If you're considering something for live and studio use do yourself a favor and check it out. I got mine used on eBay for a grand.

16. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I recorded some sessions with a 737 a few years ago with very good results. Went straight into the 737 with an active fretless - MM p'up and Bart pre - and kept the EQ flat. The results were fat and warm and very articulate. I was quite happy with it.

17. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes I know it's great preamp. Lucky you but I'm not planning any big budget gear shopping in near future. I'm happy now with avalon that i meet in almost any studio I work in (as a session bass player or arranger). At home/on stage I don't even bring/use any preamp, I'm kind of cheap guy haha. I just bring as little gear as I can and depend on what the venue provide for me as in the contract/riders, usually it's an Ampeg SVT or whatever tibe amp. Good DI Box onstage is enough for me.
    But again: Good for you to have that Millenia with you always.

Cheers:D

18. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Yea, I was more referring to the OP.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Avalon or the Millennia.

It will depend on your application and your taste preference.

19. Yeah , great stuff there. Have you ever used the original blue stripe 1176's? The ones before the first black faces? those things rock on bass, they are odd beasts but sound amazing, their all button mode is the best I've heard.

Not so much of a fan of the GML parametric on bass, I tend to like an eq which grabs and twists the sound a bit more for bass, you know? The GML is damn transparent. Amazing piece of gear though, it can completely changes a sound and still keep it sounding natural, like it just came out of the instrument like that!

I love Tube Tech CL1A's on bass too, very flexible.

To staindbass, true it does blow away entry level comps, of course it does! But you want a bit more than a 'behringer beater' from a bit of gear like this! And comparing it to the eq's built into amps doesn't work, they are a different sort of eq fundamentally and the avalon's eq shouldn't replace the one on your amp. I don't mean to say anything bad about the avalon directly though, its a great bit of gear, just when you get to this price range there is a lot of other items to consider.

API as a company has about as good a reputation as you can get, and if it's the 7200 strip in question then you are talking a pre, comp and eq of huge reputation individually, the eq is a 550a for example! However, it IS a lot more expensive than the avalon.

Choosing a bit of gear to buy out of the 'nice' stuff is always hard. Its all amazing stuff pretty much, but everyone has favourites! Its shooting yourself in the foot to devlop strong positive or negative feelings towards a bit of gear, better to absorb and understand how it reacts and store it as an option for the future, always impartial! You never know when it'll be exactly right for the situation. Man I've even used a little £30 ART preamp next to a neve melbourne and £300'000 of outboard happily! On that day, for that sound, it just about did the job! You've just got to try it and see.

20. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    I was referring to their new one (just called "the channel strip"). It's got their 527 compressor which I love on bass, and the 550a as well. Its in the same price range as the Avalon.