Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone used Area 51 (UK mail order firm)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MatW, Feb 10, 2003.

1. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi there,

Has anyone any experience with Area 51. I'm not a big fan of mail order but they're selling a Geddy Lee Jazz for £489, which isn't too shabby for UK prices.

I'm considering going for it, so if you have any good or bad experiences with this company please let me know.

Thanks

2. Yeah the company dont exist anymore....i tried to ring them bout a Squier in October and no phone numbers worked...at all. Said they didnt exist or something.

3. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Great! That's just my luck. Where else can you get a reasonably priced Geddy Lee in the UK? I've seen them on eBay for £588, but that's quite expensive. £489 was an ideal kind of price.

4. Never heard of them myself but i had a quick look, found there website:

http://www.area51mailorder.demon.co.uk/

As for the phone numbers, they look like old London numbers which means they definately wouldnt work because of the number changes, try them with 0207... or 0208... (instead of 0181...), you could try dropping them an email or writing them as well. let me know how it goes, im interested in a Geddy as well.

J.

[edit for typo]

5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Ive been trying to get hold of a geddy lee for months and months and have had NO luck after ringing around several places, one of which happened to be the area 51 in question. Everyone I have asked said they are no longer avaliable in the uk?

6. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I have seen them sold new on ebay. You could try there.

7. also could not get the tel nos to ring out and had a chat with that nice lady on bt.
    emailed them and so far no webpostmaster reaction
    if this is a reputable site
    then good for us.

8. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    I also live in the UK and i spent 6 months searching everywhere for a Geddy Bass. The sad news is u ain't going to find one. I even Tried Germany but most shops there are even out of stock! I had to order one direct from a Shop in the U.S., but it was worth it. Lovely bass!