Anyone used D'addario EXP coated OR Prosteel strings ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j3b3r, Apr 24, 2005.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hello , :D

Anyone used D'addario EXP coated or Prosteel strings ?? How was it ??
    Did the coat peel off after a few months ??

I used Elixir, and the coat started to peel of after 3 months of using :crying:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've used ProSteels... no coating that I could tell. I think they were on about 4 months. Great strings!
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Ive been wanting to play ProSteels for a while, but i did try exp's. Personally I would buy elxir's over them and do. They werent as zingy for as long.
  4. mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    It doesn't matter if the coating starts falling off, the string is only at it's mid-age! Next time, use less pick...

I think the latest sets do keep the coating on better, I have used Elixir for Years, and the latest sets seems to look better.

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Prosteels aren't coated. Great strings, but I just switched back to Blue Steels on my Modulus Genesis 5 string, and to me they sound better in an A/B comparison, but I still dug the Prosteels--not as bright and more growly. I prefer the EXPs to the Elixirs, but the tone doesn't last as long. The coating doesn't wear off like the Elixirs, and I like the feel of the coating more, almost like it's not even there. The Elixirs are "slimy-er". I also like the flexibility, but I still miss my Slowounds....they were the best D'Addario strings ever.
  6. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Wew, sorry about the mistaken words. :p

I'm asking about the Prosteels and the coated EXP's :D
    I know prosteels aren't coated.

So What do you guys think about the difference in Tone between EXP's and Elixir's ??

My Ibanez is strung with elixir's for 8 months until now, and it still zingy and bright. But the coat falling and dirts get into between the winding. So, EXP's coat doesn't falling off, rite ??
  7. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I had a set of the coated EXP's and they are great strings but they don't have that 'snap' for as long as the Elixirs. I'm sure you have heard this or even read it here.... but I guess you are going to have to try them both. I wanted to try different strings based on the experiences of others here at TB, so I spent 3 months re-stringing my bass (which came with Elixirs) over and over again. After all was said and done, I realized that I like the Elixirs more than any others. Although the Chromes were very nice. Unfortunately, it's a matter of personal preference.

Hope I didn't confuse you...
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i bought exp's, played ti for one show, and threw them out.
  9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I love me some ProSteels...

Bright and punchy tone, but not harsh or over the top.

They stay nice and bright for a long time. My current set has been on a good 2-3 months and still sound great.

I play a lakland 5-string. The low-B is not floppy at all. It also is very clear.

If you like bright tone, go for the ProSteels.
  10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    what sisn't you like about them? Details! Details! Details!
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've never played a coated string I like. With my style, I tend to bend a lot, and my strings start shedding after a couple short weeks. Really looks like I need to shave my strings constantly.

However, I rather enjoyed the Prosteels. Just wish they'd put a silk wrap at the headstock end.
  12. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Thx for the reply

I guess Prosteels won the competition hehehe
    I'll try Prosteels first, It came with a free cd :D
    I like the advertisins "Deep Focus Low".

13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love the CD that came with the Prosteels. More manufacturers should do free samplers like that ;)
  14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Prosteels are a very good set of strings for sure! Not overly bright, and they don't rip your fingers up either. I just wish they sold them in the twin-pack variety at MF so I could stock up on them.