1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone used ireal pro app?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bazh, Jun 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bazh

bazh

Nov 29, 2009
    Hello,
    I've just been looking through the apps in the App Store on my iPad and seen ireal pro. It seems to be a real book type app with just the changes in. Has anyone used this? It has some good reviews but I wanted some to know how good this was from a bass point of view? Are the play along features good?

2. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    I have used it. The play along features are pretty good. Great for practise. I downloaded a bunch of songs so ive got quite the library on the app. You can remove bass ( or other instruments) to jam along with. You can change tempo, i think you can change key too. Very good practise tool.

Scott Lynch, bazh and Groove Doctor like this.
  3. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Get it! Great practice tool, or just as a collection of charts. Best $10 ( or whatever it costs now!) I've ever spent!

old spice, bazh and elgecko like this.
  4. MDrost1

MDrost1 Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Yes! Use it at gigs in a pinch, and the play along feature is awesome. One of the most useful apps for gigging musicians out there.

bazh and gerry grable like this.
  5. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    ∆^^^What they said. Great practice and play along, switch keys, build play lists etc. Excellent app!

bazh likes this.
  6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I've used it; fantastic. Be careful if you try to use it on your phone during a gig- if one of your friends catches it and calls you it will drop the chart!

DrayMiles, oldNewbie and bazh like this.
  7. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Get it, it's incredible. Best $10 I've ever spent, easy.

pnchad and bazh like this.
  8. bazh

bazh

Nov 29, 2009
    Cheers everyone looks like I'll be getting it then.

9. Go to their forum. Thousands of chord charts available for download. I just did entire playlists from there, fastest way. No copyright on just the chord chart IIRC.

Great way to learn a song in multiple keys with transpose feature.

Gotta remember to put phone on flight mode so people don't call you.:whistle:

Scott Lynch and bazh like this.
  10. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    Great app. I made sure my college improv class students all had it. It's easy to edit the changes and easy to send leadsheets to others who also have iReal Pro. I was constantly making up assignments and practice changes on it.

bazh likes this.
  11. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    Great app, highly recommend.
    I would love PC version because reading charts od 5 inch screen is not very convenient.

bazh likes this.
  12. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Love it! Need an ipad or it's quite hard to use.

bazh likes this.
  13. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I use it mostly on my I phone 6 with the large screen, I agree with the comments above.

I would add that it also allows you to create your own charts, it's easy to use, allows all sorts of markers and notes. You can ship out a PDF file of a chart to drop box for others and transpose very simply. I've been using my phone regularly at gigs for that.

The downside is it does not show you the melody so it does not replace the real book

bazh likes this.
  14. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    For those wanted a PC solution, i am pretty sure you can run the app on a PC using a program called Bluestacks. It's essentially an Android emulator for your PC.

okcrum and bazh like this.
  15. bazh

bazh

Nov 29, 2009
    Great! I finally got it a few weeks ago and it's great! Superb advice fellow Talkbassers :)

Groove Doctor likes this.
  16. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Put the phone in Airplane Mode.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  17. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    It's nice. It's an awesome way to get a change on your phone in a pinch during the gig, or as a "band in a box." I will agree it really shines on IPad. It seems really popular amongst django style guitarists.

18. james condino

james condino Spruce dork

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    They do a nice version for most of the Django tunes; that is where I have seen it the most. It is basically a readable version of the Robin Nolan book; ' can't stand trying to read that thing on the fly but every gypsy guitar player in the country seems to use it as the de facto standard so the ireal is great.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  19. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

+1 to what pretty much everyone has said. Great app. Great collections of tunes, and not just standards - there is a decent selection of pop stuff as well. Handy for weddings. I make my own charts regularly for gigs, which I find is easier on the desktop version.

The only downsides about the app IMO is that one can not sync charts across devices. I would kill to be able to have everything on a cloud and have charts 100% synced between my computer, phone and iPad.

Edit: I take back my comment about the cost of the app. I'm sure that the time spent developing the app for a different platform justifies the additional cost.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    james condino likes this.
  20. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I agree 100% I started using this on my phone and have a good 100 custom charts, I'd love to use the Ipad but the conversion doesn't seem easy or cost effective.