1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone used SEM Products Vinyl Color Coat to change a cabinet's Tolex color?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bcolins, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bcolins

bcolins

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a Blonde Tolex Cab and I thinking about changing the color to Black using SEM Colorcoat for Vinyl and Plastic.

This stuff is made for Automotive vinyl and plastic color change or re-finishing.

Like all spray on finishes,...the BIG key to success is using the correct cleaners and prepping agents before shooting color (in this case, SEM Soap and SEM Vinyl Prep). This is true for Metal, Wood, or Vinyl/Plastic.

SEM's products are flexible elastomerics that grip tenaciaously to properly prepared vinyls and plastics in automotive upholstery settings.....so,....I'm thinking that The stuff should work equally as well on a Tolex surface.

Obviously if the cab takes a hard enough hit to actually gouge the vinyl material then, either the lighter colored underlying Tolex or the wood cabinet under the gouge could potentially show through..........of course,..........keeping a can of the original color used for touch ups would remedy that in a second or two.

I am going to call both SEM and a reseller/jobber that I know tomorrow to see if they feel that Tolex would be any less likely to hold up as well as automotive Vinyl upholstery,....but thought I would ask here as well.

If I do this,............I will take pics and create a tech article for the sight.

Brian

2. bcolins

bcolins

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    anyone have any experience with this?

Brian