Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone used the Rotosound Funkmasters?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dan Loader, Sep 22, 2003.

1. I've been using the same old Fender standards for the last couple of years now a friend recommended to me getting some lighter (35s) gauge strings to give my sound more brightness than the Fender can deliever. I've ordered some Rotosound ultralight Funkmasters (30 to 90), to experiment a bit, but haven't been able to find any reviews on the net. Is anyone here using them/have used them? What do you think?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Too light for me. They're REALLY light. You
    might have to make some major changes to your
    set up, even install a new nut. I get better
    results with the Swingmaster set 40-100.

Slug

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can remember trying these years ago - very light D and G - much too "twangy" - very thin snappy sound. They are mainly aimed at that Mark King - slap/pop sound. But they make normal playing sound very 'thin' and not bassy enough. :spit:

4. Took delivery of them today. I've lost a lot of low end, but I usually have the EQ set for all mids anyway. They give exactly the metallic slap/pop sound I want, even from my 1x15, I can't wait to hear what they sound like with a 2x10&Tweeter ext. cab.

They are easily the lightest set I've ever used, very loose and so I get a lot of buzz on the E and A, but when slapping I always have my left hand damping.

I love these to bits now, but I'm not sure how they'll sound when I play rock or metal, I think I'll need to completely cut the highs from the EQ to counter act their 'twang'.

Edit: On close inspection (I must be blind) the D string is really smooth, like a flatwound. It sound different to the rest. It's labeled as a JBL50 rather than an SBL50 like the rest... hmm.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> You must have gotten an incorrectly packed
    set. "JBL50" Means "Jazz Bass Long 050."
    That string belongs to a flat wound set.
    Call Rotosound and have them send you the
    correct string.

Slug

6. Just did :) They're sending out a new string. I found out in the process that I only live 15 miles or so from the factory...

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Cool, maybe you could get a factory tour!
    Rotosound is a first class organization
    all the way.

Cheers,
    Slug