1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone used toothpaste as a rubbing compound?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanSwain, May 9, 2010.

1. Dear all,

I've just been watching an episode of Trucks! from April, and they used toothpaste as a cheap alternative for polishing and refurbishing headlight lenses on a project they were working on.

Considering that there's a lot of crossover between automotive techniques and luthierie here I thought I'd at least mention it! The results looked pretty impressive, as they compared the process to using the Mother's compound.

Hope that helps,

Dan

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My dad used it to polish moving gun parts.

4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Paste type toothpaste is a decent polishing compound but may not be as fine as you need. Be sure to keep it wet. Gel type toothpaste will not polish but still leave the part minty fresh.

mech

5. I use it as 'lapping' compound for slicking up firearm parts.

Works great...and it makes my 1911's smell minty fresh, too.:D

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Comment Win!

7. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    I use it to polish acrylic watch crystals, so yeah, it should work. The minty freshness is an added plus.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Toothpaste worked really well for lapping computer heat-sinks so the thermal conductivity is the maximum possible. I can only assume it'd do great for luthier work, too.

Anyone got a spare piece of wood to try it on?