Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone used/tried a speakermate by sherlock audio?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Aug 20, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the sept 03 issue of bass player had this device on page 24 in the "new gear section"
    the website is www.rainbowmusicshop.com not www.rainbowmusic.com as erroneously printed by bp (thanx google)
    anyhow, i guess the point of this device is to enable you to hook up to 6 speakers of varying impedences to one amp w/o going under the amps minimum ohm requirements
    on the website 4, 6, and 8 output models are shown
    i was intrigued for two reasons
    first, if it works and doesnt suck, i could hook up 3 or more speakers to my eden 400 head w/o bringing out the alembic/stewart rig which usually sits at my guitar players house
    second, it would be neat to be able to hook up a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab to the eden head (sherlock says the spaekermate will automatically delever equal power to each cab despite the fact that they are mismatched)
    all in all an interesting idea if it works
    anyone actually tried one of these out for a spin? - they claim that they have been making them for 10 years on a custom only basis
    thanks for any input
    (i know this might qualify as an effect, but i thought amps was the best place to post this)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Haven't tried it but I seem to recall reading somewhere (Harmony Central maybe) that it's only rated for systems up to 150 watts.

If that is true it won't help most of us out too much.

The electrical engineer part of me wonders what's in there...

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Very interesting. I would have bought 4 ohm cabs, had something like this been available.....

Then again, at only good to 150 watts, it doesn't do much good. Maybe guitar players, but a lot of the 4x12 guitar cabs are 16 ohm anyway. Man, life would be much easier as a mid-high range frequency producer.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    they've had these for years with consumer stereo speaker switch boxes. I guess I never thought of music instrument cabs.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I followed the link to rainbow music and looked at the device. No mention of power rating, so I'm going to write to them and see what they have to say.

I did find one statement that caused me some concern.

"An added benefit of Speakermate's clever design is a slightly enhanced warm, low-end response when connected to many of today's "dry" sounding digital power-amplifiers."

Sounds like there is some inductance in series with the speaker load. I wonder if warm means mush?

I'll report back...

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's the quick response that I received from Gilles Grignon the Speaker-Mate's creator... I stand corrected (and gladly so!!!) read on...

"Hi Bill,

Gilles here.

The maximum power for model 4m with all outputs operational is typically 1000 watts. Many users with higher powered SWR's and the like have been using them without any problems.

I used the term "warm" because a lot of musicians can relate easier to it (some prefer to call it a "brown sound") Relating to solid-state(transistor)amplifiers, some of them can sound a little "harsh" or "grainy" in the low end(especially a lot of digital switching types). When using multiple speakers on an amp,you're
    right,it can sound mushy(a condition brought on by the increased amount of load inductance from the added speakers). SpeakerMate's design gets around that, to balance the overall low-end tone away from the "grainy-ness" in favour of a smoother/rounded over/warmer/brown tone/ without sounding mushy. We've repeatedly done this test over the years with several power amps (it's seems to be more noticeable on Peavey Deca-amps and similiar digital models-go figure!),
    The effect doesn't occur with tube output amps,since they're already "smoothing" the output thru a transformer already, where on a Transistor amp sends the signal direct from the transistors.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Gilles Grignon"

So as IvanMike suggested, take a look at this device at http://www.rainbowmusicshop.com

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gee for that price, you'd buy one just for the heck of it. Especially of you're like myself and Bill and own more speaker cabs than you know what to do with..........

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Who me?:D

Tom Bowlus still has me beat in quantity and is miles ahead in quality.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I emailed Giles on the weekend and ordered a Model 6. I'll wait for it to arrive and let you all know how it goes.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks Pete!

Will anxiously wait for your review.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So you don't want to hear about my sixth EA cab (CX-310) and third Epi cab (another T-112)? :D

I am hopelessly addicted to gear...

But it does seem like the Speakermate could be a good investment for me. Especially if it could handle the output of my PLX 3002 in bridged mono mode!

Tom.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    :eek: ;)

I guess you need to post a new picture..

I just hope that you have then all insured!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm working on it! I do have shot of my EA rig used last weekend up on the "Show Us Your Amps" thread.

And yes, Petebass, I am also very interested in hearing how you like the Speakermate. Does it allow you to choose either 4 or 8 ohm total impedence?

Tom.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I wonder if he'd be willing to make one using Speakons instead of 1/4" connectors?

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    One way to find out...

info@rainbowmusicshop.com

Ask for a 3kW version too...or the Model TB that is rated 3kW and has Speakon connections for a dozen High End bass cabinets. :D

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    "Brown sound?" I hope he wasn't making a South Park reference there. ;)

From the thing's function and Gilles's comments, I think it's probably a transformer with multiple secondary windings.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Funny that you should post on this thread Bob, as I was wondering if we should seek your opinion about whether such a device could pose a risk to the health of our PLX power amps...

I originally thought transformer too, but the box is pretty small and there is no way that a 1000 watt impedance matching transformer (with a decent frequency response) could fit in there. I don't even think an impedance matching autotransformer could fit in there either, bu I could be wrong.

It seems as though it would HAVE to be something like that though...

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I agree. And if it is indeed a transformer, it would have to be really big (much larger than the photos suggest) to handle high power (1000W) peaks and low frequencies.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    ROTFL!