Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone used/using TI Jazz Flats on a MM Bongo?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slater, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm thinking of trying some Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my Music Man Bongo 4-string HH. I've used TI Jazz Flats on several different basses, but not on the Bongo (yet).

I'm just wondering what anyone's thoughts were (pros/cons) that have tried the TI Jazz Flats on their Bongo...

2. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I'm wondering the same. I have a SR5 and I've been stringing the std. EB slinky nickelwounds. I play this thing at Church and even with the treble ctrl. cut, it is very gritty, without much warmth through their sound system.

I've had the same set of JF344s on my Jazz bass for almost two years. They seem to get better with age. I'd like to try the JF345s on my SR5 but, like you, I'd like to hear from others who've tried to tame EBMM's with TIs.

3. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    [Crickets] chirp, chirp, chirp [/Crickets] :)

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got TI Jazz Flats on my 5 string HHP Bongo. Sound great. I'll be recording some mp3s in the next day, or two, when I my recording room back together after rearranging everything.

I'll be recording my HHP Bongo 5 with TI Jazz Flats, and my SCHP fretless 5 string Bongo with Sadowsky Flats for a comparison. :bassist:

5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Where's Bovinehost when you need him?

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ordering another bongo, probably.

If you want to know how it sounds, then try it. Strings aren't that expensive, and TI's last forever. If you're STILL unsure, get the jazz rounds...they sound great too.

7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Strings aren't that expensive, but TI Jazz Flats cost over twice as much as the stings I'm using now. Plus, they do last forever, so installing them is more than a financial investment. As stated in my first post, I've used TI Jazz Flats on several basses, and I pretty much know what to expect. I'm just asking for the specific pros and cons of using them with a Bongo. Also, I've tried the Jazz Rounds and didn't like the feel - A little too thin and a little too floppy.

I don't think I'll be trying the TI Jazz Flats on my Bongo any time soon. Last night I got my new rig (Mesa Walkabout + 2 Aggie GS112s) dialed-IN, and I was very happy with the D'Addario XLs that I'm using now...

My ultimate goal is to get another Bongo and have one strung-up with flats, and one with rounds. :D

8. over at the ernieball forum consensus seems to be that the tension of those stringsdoesnt math the bongo well thus the neck goes on them. However a fewpeople use them and like them...

i would go t othat forum, I dont remember which flats they are... but they are saidto have a high enough tension for the bongo and sound awsome.

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    ?!? I've never read anyone say that on the EB Forum except for one of Bovine's Bongos or something.

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    If you like and want flats the TI flats will sound awesome on anything IMHO. I use them on my SR5 and love it. Won't restring it with anything else.

I am quite sure the Bongo will be the same way.

tk