Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone uses BEAD tuning on P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Aug 28, 2003.

1. I'm just curious... Does anyone here tune their P-style bass BEAD? How does it sound? Is the B-string nice and clear? I've been recently stung by the P-sound fever and I was wondering this...

Thanks!

2. I strung my USA 80's schecter P-bass BEAD, and it sounded fine, B string was fairly tight and clear, not floppy at all. Sounded punchy, just not very bright, cause well, it's a P-bass.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Interesting idea, not just because it's a P-Bass, but any 4-stringer.

I can remember at various times,, HATING the way G-strings sound, & would literally avoid it,, & just play up higher on the D.

4. I've often considered doing that with one of my basses as left-handed 5-strings are extremely rare. Tim Comerford of Audioslave uses BEAD stringing on his main Jazz bass.Billy Sheehan strung one of his Yamaha Attitude-2 basses like that for his Compression CD.He calls it the "Ultra bass" and it sounds awesome. Doug Pinnick used that kind of tuning on one of his 12-string's, I think, for some songs on King's X "Dogman" album.

5. I'm loving the way G-strings smell! :eek: :D

Thanks guys! Anyone else?

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, this woulda been in the early 80's, when 5-stringers were,,, less common... In reality, it was probably my amp, combined w/ the strings I was using... Just lusting after a fatter sounding G... that's all.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just started this week. It's a MIM Fender with Duncan 1/4lbs. pups. I use a 130 B, and there is no flop, and it is punchy as all get out. I may have to string my main Fender this way next...

8. Active or passive?

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The one I currently use this way is passive. If I do my Harris BEAD, it's active with a 2 band pre.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    If only the sring would fit...

11. Can't you make the hole bigger?

12. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I've done this to a P-bass, Sterling and a Stingray. I'm in a power trio and the type of music is well suited for it. Didn't use the G that much, and if I go below E infrequently it sounds good. Been doing a fair amount of gigging and the BEAD guitars are my regulars.

BTW there are several threads about BEAD tunings, setup, etc.. do a search for lots of information.

Good Luck!

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Blueszilla,

Did you need to modify the nut slot to accomodate the B string? I'm thinking about the BEAD tuning on my StingRay, but I don't want to touch the nut.

TIA
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

14. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    It's true, I had to modify the nut a bit, as well as intonation and action. As per Brendan's instructions I used an emory board to file the slots a little wider, not deeper. It didn't take much. I actually had to go back and do it more, as tuning became difficult. I think it was because the strings were catching a bit on the edges of the nut and tuning wasn't smooth.

I had done this to my P-bass too, but decided I wanted a bass with normal stringing and when I went back, the wider slots didn't seem to have a negative effect.

Edit: note that I modified all the slots, not just the B string.

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Could I? Yes. Will I? Nope :) . I didn't want a hole too large for a standard "E", so I didn't make it bigger.

16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I know this wasn't my question, but I did not need to modify the nut on the P I strung BEAD. Intonation had to be set, but that was no big deal either. Who knows, you may not have to enlarge the nut on your bass.

17. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    But will a b-string fit through a four-string bridge or do you have to widen that one as well? (i'm thinking about stringing a bass BEAD, that's why I decided to resurrect this thread)

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    On my MIM P the .130 B fit well. But on my BAII equipped Harris it would not fit at all. So I say it depends on your bridge.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I've got a P strung BEAD. The hole in the Badass 2 bridge needed to be enlarged slightly to accomodate the B, but other than that it was no big deal. Nut slots/height seemed ok, so I didnt modify it. I could go back to EADG with no trouble.

Sounds decent (Ive got a Fender Original 62 pup, fwiw). It's strung with D'Addario XL's, and occasionally I'll change the tuning to CEAD or DEAD to suit what I'm playing (my poor technique results in me using alternate tunings).

20. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've been seriously thinking of doing this to my P-bass. The only thing I'm worried about is if the B will be too muddy. I've read and am starting to think myself that the stock pu's on my MIM P don't have a very good frequency range and the E is a little muddy. Should I upgrade my pu's before I take the plunge or just string it BEAD now :help: ? Unfortunately it might be awhile before I'm able to afford new pu's I want (Nordstrand). Thanks for any help guys. :bassist: