Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using 18's ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Nov 12, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Just curious. I've played 2x10 boxes with 18" subs in the PA, and 1x15 boxes with 18" subs in the PA.

Are 18's worth trying to use for anything? I don't recall getting much but rumble/mud from them.

I'm looking for a 5 string application.

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used an Ampeg 18 cab under Ampeg 410 cab for many years. Sounded great but I got alot of "your too loud!" from soundmen.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I used to use 18's when I bi-amped and they sounded great...........but they do take some distance for the sound to develope, and like cb56 said...some soundmen where not pleased:D

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Personally, I love `em to shake the floorboards.

They like juice though. I slave one of my heads into the other so I can run 1600W RMS when I use it.

Can't really get the full impact until you get at least 20 feet away from the sucker.

It is almost necessary when I use my Akai Deep Impact synth unit.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just went all tube, and I'm selling my near mint Eden D-118XL for $400.

6. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    When I play medium sized venues I use an Accoustic 360 folded horn 18", the Jaco bottom, ( I replaced the Cerwin Vega with a high end EV 18", better freguency response IMO), and then I top it with a 410. It all gets pumped by a G-K 2000rb in bridged mode. Man the girls just love it!!! I had one girl tell me it was like sitting on a Harley...lol I like a bass that you can feel when you are sitting in the seats. The BIG down side is that it is BIG...lol It is true what they say.... you gota haul tone! I am sure glad it has wheels and a built-in dolly.

jam

7. I'm building an SBB4 cab for a recently acquired JBL E-155 18" driver. The intent is for a small (2.54 cubic feet) cab that is portable and loud, and can be used as a stage monitor when PA support is available. I don't expect it to have a lot of bottom, but this is typical for JBL, and to be expected.

The Eminence Magnum 18LF is very attractive in 4.0 cubic feet. I'd like to try one of those, but being out of work puts a damper on speaker GAS.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

My Eden 18 is such a nice cab, but it's function is not matching my needs.

What would happen if I blocked all the ports?

I have no problem with sacrificing some low end, but I would like to make the cab TIGHT and PUNCHY!

Even thought of replacing the baffle board and installing 10s because it is the same box as a 410 XLT.That would be a shame though.

BTW, I would be using it with a D-410XLT. Also 8 ohm, in parallel.
    Thanks, Bob

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

WOW! bgavin, that should be too sweet.........and I thought mine was a "wind tunnel."

Last time I used mine at an outdoor festival with the slaved heads, the concert site wasn't left in the best shape -

[​IMG]

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Thank you Rickbass for making my morning. Now to clean the Dr. Pepper from my monitor...

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i can see that soon i will be called the bag end guy............lol
    but anyway
    i dont own a bag end 18 but i heard the bigger version (they come in two sizes) and was blown away
    played all by itself full range it was the fastest most articulate 18 i have ever heard
    you would not beleive that that was the cabinet being played until you heard the low d or b
    i havent had the chance to hear the compact 18 but i am sure it would be just as articulate if not as low sounding
    ps.these are the non elf variety 18 cabinets by bag end

12. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Depends on what you're going for. 18's will give you a deeper, room shaking ambience, while 15's seem much more punchy, defined, and chest-pounding.

13. I am bassically a "gear-a-holic". After many regrets from getting rid of equipment, I decided to just keep buying new stuff, and keeping the old.

With that said, my set-up in the bands practice room is as follows:

2 - 1X18's
    2 - 1X15's
    2 - 4X10's
    1 - 2X10

Love the sound that I get. Wall and floor rumble, and highs for miles.

And yes, the setup is power hungry. It is run with 2 1000 watt power amps.

14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN

*GASP* :D :eek: :D

15. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Pounder, you are the man. Whochie-mama.

S18ELF here.

16. Unfortunately, none of the cabs are "high end". But thats what you get when you continually pick up good deals.

The actual cabs are:

Ampeg SVT1540HE (1X15 & 4X10)
    Acoustic collaborative series 1X18 upgraded w/Cerwin Vega
    Avatar Compact 1X18 (400 Watt Eminence)
    Carvin V115
    Peavey 410TX
    Peavey 210TX

The main rack consists of:

Furman PL8
    Korg DTR1000
    Peavey Max Preamp
    Alesis 3630 Compressor
    BBE 422A
    Carver PM350 (500 watts per side @ 4 Ohm)

The line out from the MAx feeds rack #2:

Furman PL8
    Digitech Programmable Bass Preamp
    Carvin R1000

Sitting at home as a back-up is rack #3:

ETA PDL8 Power Conditioner
    Sabine RT1601
    Art SGX Nightbass SE
    Carver PM350

:rolleyes: Talk about having equipment to spare.Most of the items were purchased used from friends hard up for cash. Got most of them real cheap, and just can't stand to part with them.

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

You think?;)

18. yeah, i just use a 2x10 1x18 peavey cab and play my 6 string through it and it sounds good and rumbly. it gives me the nice smiley face tone i need for my b string.

19. You win!

:D

I bet you can almost keep up with your guitar player and his 60w amp...

20. Bob,

Give it a try. Blocking the ports will decrease the low-bass. It may give you the punch you crave, or at least get you closer to it. I used an 18" forever, and it was great and would clunk and plink better than I thought it would. You have GOT to plug those ports and let us know how it sounds. I think you'll like it. It will make the response of the cab roll off smoother, although at a higher frequency. Just remember, an SVT cab rolls off at about 80Hz or so, and it sounds great!

Chris