Anyone using 4x10 and 2x10 combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Jun 13, 2005.

1. I have a 2x10 right now, and I need more bottom, more volume.
    Will I get more volume and bottom adding a 4x10 to my rig?

Anyone has used this combination? Opinions and thoughts very welcome as hell.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's actually a very popular combination.

to use a 210 and a 410 your choices will depend upon your current cab and amp. if your cab is an 8 ohm 210 you can use an 8 ohm 410 with it on the same mono amp (as most amps can handle a 4 ohm load, but only a few can handle a 2 ohm load) you could also use a 4 ohm 410 with an 8 ohm 210 on a mono amp that can handle a 2 ohm load, or a 4 ohm 210 and 4 ohm 410 on a 2 ohm mono amp.

if your 210 is 4 ohms and your head is only able to run a 4 ohm load you'll either need to get a mono head that will handle a 2 ohm load, or get a stereo head that handles 4 ohms per side.

i used an 8 ohm eden 210 and 8 ohm swr 410 for years with a mono 4 ohm amp with very good results.

you will pick up a good amount of volume as you'll be tripling your speaker area and using more watts. Also, in most cases you'll pick up some apparrent low end when using more cabs, even if you just add another 210.
  3. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    12s or 15s may be more consistent with "bottom" theoretically, but practically? I don't know. The 4X10 cab would definitely produce noticeable volume improvement for the reasons that Ivanmike said. I have a 2X10 cab that I sometimes run over my 2X12, but the 2X12 is more than adequate alone in my setup. The 12s seem to be a popular compromise between 10s and 15s, but its all very subjective, I think. Lots of players use lots of different configurations for lots of different reasons but it really depends on what hits your hot button because there is no "best setup" I don't think. They are all good!
  4. Thank you guys.
    My amp actually can handle 2 ohms.
  5. Yup, Eden 210XLT with Eden 410XLT (both 4 ohms). Lots of flexibility for setups range from small to XL. Easy to haul.

Drive with either my Mesa 400+ or SVP-CL/Stew 2.1. Plenty of volume and low end. Much will be dependant on your choice of 410 too.
  6. ADD A 15"!!!!!!!!!!! 15" give much better low end frequency response and (((GROWL)))
  7. Well thats what I want, but I can only find a really heavy Peavey 15" at 4 ohms. And I want all wattage out of my amp :(