Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using a Crest CA6 power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badsneakers, Jul 2, 2004.

1. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    What are you thoughts? Why did you chose the CA6 over the CA9?

2. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I don't see how there would be any difference in tone, so I'm going to guess "power".

On the other hand... who needs 2000 watts bridged into 4 ohms??? What are you playing, stadiums??

And then they're folks who say an eden wt-400 is just fine for a rock band. What to believe?

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I have the CA6 and its one of if not the best amps on the market! The CA9 is equally to the CA6 with just more power. Its just a matter of what fits your needs.

2000 watts is quite common and you don't have to play stadium's to use a CA9 however there are a number of guys playing stadiums. Heck I have an LT2000 as well which is 2400 watts.

You won’t go wrong with either amp. Its a matter of which works best for you. Heck I sell some people the CA4 and that works perfect for them. Its a matter of money and power that you need depends on which amp you need.

4. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Hey Brian if you ever get another CA in, let me know okay? Jim seems to recommend them, although I don't know how it would be better than any other "straight wire with gain"... (uh oh... here we go.)
    I guess I'll have to call him up.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I order CA's all the time for customer's.

Yea, Jim knows good amps, what can I say but he's a smart man ;)

[​IMG]

6. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    What's the fan noise like on the CA series? Some people had said earlier that the QSC PLX had "hella fan noise" (i guess that means alot) and I'm worried that the CAs would also have a similar, if not louder, fan section.

7. I have a newly aquired CA9 and it's working out great for me. I went with the bigger power because it wasn't that much more and the weight was only a couple pounds. I've alway found that more power is better even if you don't use it most of the time there is sure to be a time you will. The new cabs like the Bergantinos can take massive amounts of power. Also, I don't like to "bridge" if I don't have to, and the CA9 gave me the comfort zone of power without going to bridge mode. The fan seem very quiet to me. JB did recommend the CA6 but I went bigger. So far, I'm very pleased.

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Big String,

Why don't you like to bridge?

~S~

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I would think that the only real difference between the 6 and 9 would be a little weight and power. The fan noise between the plx 3402 and CA9 is small. The crest is quieter when it first comes on and in idle but when there both cranking they are about the same, the crest maybe a touch quieter. A plx 1602 is a touch quieter than a 3402. Im happy with the CA9.

10. Hey Dev
    I don't have a real solid answer for you. I've migrated back and fourth while using my former PLX2402. Before I switched to the CA9 I had the PLX bridged and I admitt it was better. Still, when it came to the nitty gritty outside gigs it still sounded strained to me and I had a hard time hearing. So far the CA9 in parallel at less volume has passed the test on the outside gigs for hearing myself and adding more booty, at least to my ears. From my understanding even though an amp is designed and rated to run bridged which is really running both channels at a 2ohm equivilant, it's is harder on the amp in my mind. Now, I'm not making an profound statements here, I drive my car with the same style as my equipment. I just don't like to feel like I'm pushing it to the max all the time. Just me. I like to think it will have more longevity.... :meh: I used to like to beat the crap out of everything I owned cars, Harleys included. I just found myself replacing or repairing things more often. So, my method may be flawed but I'm comfy. Hope that answers your question.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmmm. I was just wondering if you heard any sound differences? I've bridged my Crowns & QSC before & the sound seemed different, not quite as full or ??? Maybe I'm just nuts or hearing things...

~S~

PS: I STILL beat the crap outta my HD's, LOL!

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Bridging an amp driving a 4-ohm load is electrically equivalent to driving 2 ohms per channel. Likewise, driving an 8-ohm load in bridged mode is equivalent to 4 ohms per channel.

But there's nothing wrong or stressful or damaging to the amp about bridged mode itself. It's just a way of doubling the output voltage by putting the two channel outputs in series. Setting up bridged operation properly is slightly more complex, but even fairly technically-challenged users manage it all the time!

There is no sonic difference between bridged and stereo or parallel operation, if it's set up properly.

13. Dev - Bridging
    I suppose the extra headroom sorta/kinda makes me think it sounds "different" or maybe better. I did notice that the clip light didn't go on and that is what I was most concerned about at the time. Bob stated it much better than I did but that is what I meant about the 2ohm load thing. I know a lot of people have had plenty of power and never made the clip light go on, but mine came flickering on all the time when I did some slapping while in parallel mode. I do mostly finger style and had the signal chain set accordingly to my taste so that probably had a lot to do with it. I do know what you mean about sounding differernt though. When I was going back and fourth between bridge and parallel there were some differences which are hard to put in words. I think some may be attributed to the venue usually being outside (which is were I have the most difficulty) and maybe some tone deafness in about the 3rd set.... All I know is I never really felt all that comfy in bridge mode and that is just the 'What if Guy' in me. Some amps are design capable of using one channel if the other takes a crap. I know Stewart users have made this statement before and maybe all the others are the same, I'm not sure, but there is one more good reason not to bridge. Of course I never had any good amp like QSC, Crest, Crown or even my Mesa stuff every go out on me so there you go. (The What if Guy strikes again)

14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Not to derail the thread but think about it like this BS... if you had two engines you could combine, it would be less stressful to split a given amount work evenly between two instead of giving all the work to one engine and have the other do nothing. If it makes you feel better to not have your amp do so much work, use bridge mode.

15. Very good alternative way of looking at it. Thanks Met!

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Hey BS, jfyi even when I bridgerd the 1602 (1600 watts) it clipped a lot more than the CA9 does. same with the 3402 (1100watts a side). btw, I dont like to bridge a lot either, dont have a real reason, just cos. :bag:

17. Zone
    Sorry took me so long to get back. Ya, pretty much my experiance. I've noticed that we have similar experiances with gear and similar tastes in gear. No conclusion here, just interesting how some players find the same or very similar results. There are several other TB's that share our path. The CA9 is major WhoopA$$. :cool:

18. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    By jove, Brian, is that a True-Voice preamp prototype up there? :)

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

uhuhuhuhuhuh........ a proto-type of the front end of the True-Voice preamp :smug:

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm picking up a Crest CA9. I was going to go with the Stewart 2.1, but my drummer made me an offer I can't refuse ;) .

The CA9 is phase two of my dream rig. I love my Read Purity preamp, my next purchase will be an Accugroove El Whappo cab. :bassist: