1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jul 7, 2012.

1. I need to find a small and cheap practice amp (15w). On CL most of what I run into that's cheap and plentiful are guitar amps. I'm mostly concerned on what kind of sound I would get out of it. Curious on what you guys think?

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Look for a used Fender Rumble 15 Bass amp.

You should have absolutely zero issues finding 500 of them Craigslist is typically littered with them.

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    For practice, guitar amps are great. I have a little 10 watter that came in one of those Squire "learn to play guitar" boxes (guitar and amp together). Got it for free. It's light, easy to use, even has a headphone jack.

No problem. Obviously, you don't get a huge low end and it won't work at the gig, but they are more than adaquate for practicing.

What you don't want is a bass head into a guitar cab. Other than that, it's no big deal.

4. Most of those I see are coming in the "package" with the Affinity J or P too! lol

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    At very low volumes, guitar amps are fine for bass. When you turn them up, you risk exceeding the excursion limits of the voice coil of the speaker.

Im guilty of this. It wont happen again. I still play bass thru a guitar amp ('59 Gretsch Playboy), but i keep the volume very low.

If you feel you might be needing to turn it up, it might be a good idea to consider using a proper bass combo amp. Their speaker drivers are designed to accommodate the lower frequencies that your bass produces.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude, get a little bass combo if you want to play bass. The speaker will stand up to it better. There are a few little bass combos you can get, but I think the best bang for the buck right now in the lowest end practice combos is the Ampeg BA108. $100, won't get real loud, but it sounds really good and is actually usable on small quiet gigs.

7. I don't need loud at all, probably would get to level 3 or 4, maybe, at most.

8. Get one with a cd/mp3 input, they're very handy for 3am jamming.

9. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    The price difference between guitar amps and bass amps is so small; I would consider JimmyM's recommendation.

I really should get a proper (practice) bass amp for the bedroom, but im too cheap. (fixed income) And i just like the look of the Gretsch. :D

Don't have any experience with the BA108, but the Ampeg BA110 (35w) is a great little bass combo amp,,... I used one (a loaner) at a rehearsal a few months ago. Much better than an Acoustic B20 I was previously using.

Im not sure what "tone" you're looking for, but you might consider a bass combo before purchasing a guitar amp.

10. Cheap is the key. Something under $40 or $50 would be ideal. I see more 15-30w guitar amps for that price, or less which is why I am tempted to get one. If I ruin it, oh well, if that happens I could have enough cash saved to get something proper. :bassist:

11. Just be patient and watch CL. Some pawn shops will have a few dusty models for that price range. I bought a Fender Rumble 30 for $60 from a pawn shop a while back. It still had the plastic on the logo and original packaging.

12. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Save your yourself a buncha grief and heartache.

Get a proper bass amp. imo.