Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using a laptop & software for effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Mar 17, 2004.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I've been doing a little research into using a laptop and effects software instead of pedals/rack effects for live gigs. Has anyone had success with this approach? I've tried an application called GuitarFX which has some neat effects, but doesn't seem ready to use in a live situation, nor is it geared towards the bass player (e.g. no compression). I'd like to be able to trigger presets using a MIDI pedal or something similar, but I don't see any support for this in GuitarFX.

PaulYeah

2. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I've been using efx for some time...i bought a mastering program from a group of MIT brainiacs--it's called 'Ozone' from Izotope.com
    It's direct x friendly and loves cool edit pro--i also use a limiter program from db-audioware.
    I have just enough horsepower on the pc to use em.

3. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Check <a href="http://www.nsstickist.com/schiffmacrack.htm">this</a> out...

It's Don Shiff's MacRack...he plays Stick and NS Stick, and seems to be really happy with the results over all. Fun stuff...the details are all on the site.

L.

[​IMG]

4. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Do you use this setup in the studio, or live, or both? Is there a way to switch presets without punching the keyboard?

PaulYeah

5. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I don't have an amp at home, but i have PC, and i foung great software for guitar effects ... GuitarFXbox .. nice prog. without delay.
    Just plug in bass, take headphones .. and here you go ..

6. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
  7. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Hey, I like GuitarFXBox, and it looks like it supports MIDI pedals for modulating some of the effects. Hopefully they'll take the next step and let you use pedals to trigger presets!

This is so cool...

8. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    bump...

Is anyone else contemplating software vs. pedals? What kind of features would you require to switch over to using a laptop vs. traditional effects?

PaulYeah

9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok... here are my two cents worth...

If digital chips will never replace a full analog signal path (which they will not), then why would binary replace it any better???

Your bass is an analog device, all good bass amps are analog... Why would you want to convert your pure beautiful analog tone to digital 1s and 0s?.. Analog to digital conversion (ada) is evil, it "colors" your tone (more like rips its sole out...).

I dislike active electonics as well, but thats another story...

My point is, if you want a digital signal path - Play a synthasizer!.. Not a bass...

Out of all my pedals I use for my bass only 2 are digital, a line 6 DL4, and a EHX Holy grail... The dl4 does a great job of modling, and is true bypass anyway. The Holy Grail has a mix between the reverb (digital) and clean signal.... I rather have a Songworks little lanell spring reberb pedal, but they are $500... One day...

end rant...

Alex

10. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Then I suppose you will never record to CD? B Easy

Myron

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    actualy i have recorded 8 albums, don't be a smartass...

Cheers

Alex

12. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I'm a musician. It keeps me sane. I couldn't resist. No offense intended. B Easy

Myron

13. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Certainly nothing against being an advocate of the "tried and true" here, however you must realize that a truly good digital sample, though comprised of 1s and 0s, will not color your tone AT ALL. I think the soul and tone you like comes from the coloring caused by any analog equipment. The above comment about recording to CD is (if you didn't get it, I wasn't sure if you did...) referring to the fact that your beautiful analog signal is getting digitized as soon as it gets printed in CD form anyway. This is the premise of any recent high quality audio.

By the way, how are you liking the DL4? I just got one a few weeks ago and love it. It's quite a bit of fun. Find any interesting settings worth sharing?

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's only dogmatic ranting with no proof to back it up in any way. You're not even practicing what you're preaching.

15. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I hate to say it, I am an old school "Give me tubes or give me death" type of guy, but to each their own. I totally understand that the wonders of electronics have given us many gifts. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is though I prefer the old school analog, I won't draw a line saying "I won't use this!" I mean, though the Beatles used and recorded with vintage equipment, it wasn't vintage when they used a lot of it. I mean, without Hendrix and the likes, the music world would move sideways and not forward.

I say let the kids use their toys. If they find something really good, I might use it. If they don't find something good, I have some nice analog effects that I don't use anymore I can sell them cheap ;)

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, be open to more concepts my dude. One is not necessarily evil or bad or good. On the subject of active and passive I have found that after searching through every bass amp known to humans that starting with a powerful bass with powerful eq. on the simple science of how organic woods are combined revealed a truly astounding instrument I can play through amps set flat. Run on sentence, sorry. Only a G+L will come close though it's passive. Many passive basses are so uh, passive that they need tremendous amp eq to sound good, then you have limited flexibility tone wise.

17. Uh, I think we're getting off-topic here.

Now back to using laptop-based effects on stage: ;)

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    First off, everyone - I am sorry if I offended any of you... I was mearly stating an opinion, and I do have the right to state it - so I did...

Ok... Second, my albums finaly hits digital at the last moment - when they are pressed, everything before that is analog - I wish I could press vinyl!.. (so I did get what he was getting at, I just didn't want to do what I am doing now - hijacking his thread. I am sorry dude)

I was more refering to playing live, live I have a 99% pure analog signal path... And to me thats when it counts, playing live is my life... Recording I view of a hazard of the job...

As for the DL4, I love it... But again I wish I had one of Hiwat's new 2 rackspace tape echo's... But I don't have over a grand to blow on a delay machine... But oh how it is sweet...

Alex

ps. sorry if I offended anyone again...
    pss. I am not trying to me a pissant...
    psss. BassIan, you have mail...