Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Using a Pair of 2x8's???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 9, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    in my never end search for that perfect small, yet big sounding cab, i've stumbled onto Accugroove's Tri208. essentially, a cab with two 8 in. woofers, one 6 inch midrange driver, with 2 soft dome tweeters.

would a pair of these shake out some booty? i know EA used to make a similar 2x8. has anyone tried this?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. I use an Ampeg B-2 combo with 4 - 8" speakers and it sounds great. I'll guarantee you those cabinets will kick out some bottom.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how does a 2x10 compare to your 4x8 system? also what brand?

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    - Any company with a cabinet called "el whappo" deserves my attention.
    - Their site is covered in pictures of endorsers with 500+ string basses
    - Quotes like:
    "We designed (our 1x10) to leave you feeling like you ate a full slab of baby-back ribs, nothing but satisfied."
    "What’s smaller than a 2x10, larger than 1x10 & makes you cry Momma?"
    "Two of these cabinets together are ridiculous."
    "One El Whappo is 6 lbs. lighter than one 410XLT, but will replace 2 of them!"

Accugroove cracks me up. I mean, can you say ATTITUDE?! I'd love to try that 2x8 though, sounds like a couple of those would be a good alternative to a Henry 8x8 for those of us who like having a back.

5. I have a SWR 4x8 that has more, no, much more, bottom than my previous SWR 2x10 and my current 1x15, I only need to add the 1x15 if I feel the need for a 4 ohm load.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I love playing through 8's. The EA VL108, and the VL208 are 2 of my favorite sounding cabs. I'll bet the Accugroove is just as good if not better! It looks to be a perfect match to the AI Clarus. If I had any money.......

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    low end nonewithstanding, is it punchier than a 2x10?

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sure is! 8's will cut through anything. I really like their tone. A good 8 will handle the low end well too. I would definitely check them out.

9. My 4 X 8" is punchier than a 2 X 10" and also handles the lows much better. The 8's are long excursion speakers; that coupled with the small area of each driver makes them ideal because they can handle the transients and the bottom, too. Mine also has a horn. My rig is a combo...Ampeg B248.

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    A 4x8 cabinet has more bottom than a 2x10... I guess thats understandable but I've heard it has more than a 4x10... how is this possible?

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    horse-sensically,

its not, so i doubt it. if it was so, then i woulda had 50 hits with everyone raving about their 4x8's. :D

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    If it has less everything else. :) It's got less speaker area, which is a strike against it in the max. output area. But if the cab is voiced to have a heavier bottom, that's what people will hear.

13. The 8's in my rig are very high excursion speakers and that helps reproduce the lows, too.

14. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I also have the Ampeg B248. It's a 350 watt combo that cranks maybe 180 watts or so into the internal 4x8. I like old school thump, and lemme tell ya, I have no problem getting bottom out of this thing (which really surprised me). Keep in mind, it's an Ampeg, and they pretty much voice everything that way, AFAIK.