Anyone Using a Pair of 2x8's???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 9, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    in my never end search for that perfect small, yet big sounding cab, i've stumbled onto Accugroove's Tri208. essentially, a cab with two 8 in. woofers, one 6 inch midrange driver, with 2 soft dome tweeters.

would a pair of these shake out some booty? i know EA used to make a similar 2x8. has anyone tried this?

2. I use an Ampeg B-2 combo with 4 - 8" speakers and it sounds great. I'll guarantee you those cabinets will kick out some bottom.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how does a 2x10 compare to your 4x8 system? also what brand?
  4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    - Any company with a cabinet called "el whappo" deserves my attention.
    - Their site is covered in pictures of endorsers with 500+ string basses
    - Quotes like:
    "We designed (our 1x10) to leave you feeling like you ate a full slab of baby-back ribs, nothing but satisfied."
    "What’s smaller than a 2x10, larger than 1x10 & makes you cry Momma?"
    "Two of these cabinets together are ridiculous."
    "One El Whappo is 6 lbs. lighter than one 410XLT, but will replace 2 of them!"

Accugroove cracks me up. I mean, can you say ATTITUDE?! I'd love to try that 2x8 though, sounds like a couple of those would be a good alternative to a Henry 8x8 for those of us who like having a back.
  5. I have a SWR 4x8 that has more, no, much more, bottom than my previous SWR 2x10 and my current 1x15, I only need to add the 1x15 if I feel the need for a 4 ohm load.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I love playing through 8's. The EA VL108, and the VL208 are 2 of my favorite sounding cabs. I'll bet the Accugroove is just as good if not better! It looks to be a perfect match to the AI Clarus. If I had any money.......
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    low end nonewithstanding, is it punchier than a 2x10?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sure is! 8's will cut through anything. I really like their tone. A good 8 will handle the low end well too. I would definitely check them out.
  9. My 4 X 8" is punchier than a 2 X 10" and also handles the lows much better. The 8's are long excursion speakers; that coupled with the small area of each driver makes them ideal because they can handle the transients and the bottom, too. Mine also has a horn. My rig is a combo...Ampeg B248.
  10. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    A 4x8 cabinet has more bottom than a 2x10... I guess thats understandable but I've heard it has more than a 4x10... how is this possible?
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

its not, so i doubt it. if it was so, then i woulda had 50 hits with everyone raving about their 4x8's. :D
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    If it has less everything else. :) It's got less speaker area, which is a strike against it in the max. output area. But if the cab is voiced to have a heavier bottom, that's what people will hear.
  13. The 8's in my rig are very high excursion speakers and that helps reproduce the lows, too.
  14. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I also have the Ampeg B248. It's a 350 watt combo that cranks maybe 180 watts or so into the internal 4x8. I like old school thump, and lemme tell ya, I have no problem getting bottom out of this thing (which really surprised me). Keep in mind, it's an Ampeg, and they pretty much voice everything that way, AFAIK.