Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using a Peavey cab w/(1)18" BW & (2) 10's? Any info on this cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hoverboy26, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Hoverboy26

Hoverboy26

Jun 21, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just bought this older Peavey bass cabinet, and it has one 18" Black Widow and two 10" woofers. Does anyone have this cab, or know where I can find info on it? Age, reviews, etc. It sounds great, and I gigged it last weekend, along with a Carvin 410 cab. I am using a Mesa M-pulse 600 to power them. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    the model number is 1820 (18 and 2 10's)- they also made a 1516 (15 and 2 8's). other than that, i know nothing else about 'em :bassist:

3. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Peavey made the 1820 cabinet from the late 80's to the early 90's, I've tried them before and I thought the same thing, they sound great. I've also tried the 1516, a 15 with two 8's and I didn't like that one as much, seemed sort of midrangy compared to the 1820 for sure. Peavey also made some cabinets that were 2 18's and 2 10's, Tommy Shannon used those with Stevie Ray Vaughn, I'm pretty sure they were 18's not 15's in those monsters. That was mid '80's when they made the Max head (CS800 with a preamp) that was quite good and sort of ahead of it's time.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one. I bought it around 1990, and it served me well over many years of hard gigging. I did have a problem with blowing the 15". Luckily, the Black Widow is designed such that you can replace just the basket, which is slightly cheaper than buying an entire new driver. But it's still enough of a pisser that I finally broke down and bought a 1,000w RMS Madison Executioner.

To be honest, it was kind of on a lark, because I knew nothing of Madison speakers, and figured how good could it be for the piddling I paid for it on ebay. Well, low and behold, this driver totally transformed my cab in a very good way. It works exceedingly well in that box. The lows are deeper than anything else I've heard (and trust me, I've heard a lot!). The subterranean rumble out of this cab is unreal! But then, I realized that my Scorpion 10" drivers were being outclassed, so I threw in a pair of nice Selenium drivers that I had laying around. Again, a big improvement!

If this cab didn't weigh a ton, or if I could easily move it on my own, I would probably still use it - seriously! But, once my bandmates and I no longer lived together, and we didn't have multiple guys to help load and unload, this cab has just been gathering dust. I'd love to sell it to someone who would use it, but it's way too big and heavy to ship anywhere. I made up a dolly board with some nice casters, and then lag bolted that to the bottom. This added weight, but the wheels are really sturdy, and held up to the abuse.

I ran mine with a 210TX on top. I even had a new steel grill made to match the 210TX, and then I removed the "Peavey" badge from both of them. ;) Needless to say, my current batch of EA, Accugroove, Bergantino, etc. blow these old Peavey cabs away, but to be honest, those were some darn good cabs for the money.

Tom.

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I had one for years. Used it first by itself with a bi-amped Peavey Mark IV head. Then with a powered 2-10 that Peavey built to go specifically with that cab and the full power of the Mark IV diverted to the 18". Then with a Peavey 4-10 Flite Case model on top tied to the internal 2-10 biamped thru a Peavey TB Raxx (them Ampeg pre) and a Peavey DECA 528.

It was unbelievably heavy, hard to manage, and F-N loud! Tough as nails, though. My only complaint was weight. I'm a believer in Peavey gear (even though I'm into Schroeders and Read/Stewart 1.2 right now). Most of my PA gear is Peavey. It's good stuff and basically bulletproof.

If you can move it and you can store it, I can recommend it. A buddy of mine had the 1516 and he liked his Gibson (EB-0) thru it a lot.

dcr

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, I had that powered 2x10, too! I used it with the 1820 for a while, but once I got the 210TX, I liked its sound a lot more. I just sold that powered 2x10 a couple of weeks ago!

Tom.

7. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    We've still got two of the Peavey 118 sub cabs in my band, they are the same cabinet at the 1820 without the 2 10's. One guy in the band said that he really liked them, but Peavey put's the handles on the cabinets like you're Hulk Hogan!, a dolly is nearly a must...

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Or a two-man carry...

9. I dont know about your guy's cab but my back plate reads 1810. right now Im using it with a mark III head and will soon be getting a Mark IV for $60 as long as nothing turns out to be wrong with it :eyebrow: but it is a pain to move and the last show my band played was on a raised wooden stage. no one could really hear me( the only thing through the PA was vocals :meh: ) but everyone felt me which I thought was cool. but any way older peavey stuff is near indestructable and really cheap. I got my stack for $160

10. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I've always liked Peavey's bass and Pa gear, I've used lots of their stuff over the years and it's always been good, inexpensive too. I feel there are many companies who could learn a thing or two from Peavey, Mackie being who comes to mind first, they need to learn how to make stuff that's more fool proof and durable particularly power amps, M1400 compete with a CS-1200, no way....

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    HAHAHA!!! :spit:
    Good luck!!!

Its almost impossible to find out about old peavey gear. i bought a "MarkIII Series Combo" about 6 months ago and all i know now is that t has a blask widow rated at 350W rms, and only because i took out the driver myself!!

Your best bet after TB is to try peavey.com, and look for any online manuals. also, find the model numbers of the drivers in your cab, then check the impedences and power rating etc on the peavey website. :)

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hmmm... Mine reads 1820.

13. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, you both are right! The 1810 was the predecessor to the 1820. Same drivers, but the 1820 was about two inches taller. The 18" cavity was cramped in the 1810, somewhat limiting lows, hence the redesign. I gigged with a pair of them for 13 years...carrying them up flights of stairs by my little self (I'm 5'6"). They were made entirely of plywood and are very sturdy. Yeah, they were butt heavy at 122 lbs each! When I got my 90 lb 410TXs, they felt so-o-o light! The 3620 was the version with two Black Widow 18s and two Scorpion 10s. There was nothing else on the market like them at the time.

Kim

14. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I had an 1810 which weighed a ton !! I replaced the blown 18 with a madison which sounded sweet. With wheels its manageable but it was a 2 person carry for sure. Im not a small guy, but not big either.

15. midi

midi

Dec 12, 2005
    I bought it new in 1986.....it is a 4 ohm impedance cab......18" Black Widow and 2-10" Scorpions...the built in Crossover is set at 500Hz.....however, you can bi-amp it and set the crossover wherever you want......I have used this almost exclusively with a Peavey Max Bass amp......800w or 400/400 hi-lo biamp.....both are still working perfectly......they are heavy to move but they sound great......I have my crossover set about 150-200 Hz....which is the G string goes thru the 10's and everything else thru the 18.....hope this helps....

16. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    When I was giging I ran a Carvin R1000 and a peavey 1820 biamped 500 up and 500down best gig rig ever, tuff as nails and heavy as stone It was worth the work! When I sold that rig ater 3 years I got more money then I paid for it!!!!

17. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I had an 1820 for a few years... I didn't like it very much. Besides the trouble moving it (awkward size) I thought it sounded muddy. And the speakers weren't rated for very much power if I recall correctly. I didn't think it was a good cab. You can find them for sale sometimes for 150 - 200 bucks. I take that to mean that I'm not the only person who doesn't care for them. Peavey does make some good bass gear - IMO, this is not one of their better items. YMMV.