Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using a Samson power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Apr 15, 2005.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
  2. I used a Samson power with my Ampeg pre [before I sold them both]. It was reliable but overall I found the sound to be a little sterile.

I found that when I used my Ampeg pre into other rigs I got a much better sound. The warmth of the tubes just seemed to be a little less when using the Samson. I am thinking of a power amp at the moment to pair with my Clarus and it is between the Accoustic Image SA and a Crest CA6. I have been told and subsequently found out that the Crest has a much better tone. I cannot put into words the tone of the Crest but it was just better.

I know this post is vague but it is the best I can do. Others are far better than me in describing tones of amp and cabs, maybe they will chip in.

Hope this helps

Matthew

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm using an F-800 in my rack, it puts out tones of power for the price, in fact, tonight it had to fill a large bar with bass without and PA supports and it barely clipped all night...

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    A few years ago, I used a SWR pre with a Samson Servo 550 power amp. Worked fine, no complaints.

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    hmm...2 yesses and a no. i'm trying to decide between this samson and the qsc rmx850...any opinions?

6. vision

I would like to add too my earlier post and say that Samson amps are very good value for the money hence why I brought one a while ago. Howerver I do think the Crest amps are better but they will probably cost more.

QSC are also very popular on these boards and have an excellent reputation. If you went with one of those you would not be dissapointed.

Regards

Matthew