Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using a TE 1x15 combo with an extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SeanE, Sep 20, 2005.

1. SeanE

SeanE

Sep 20, 2005
    I have a 1x15 (I believe pre-Gibson) 7-band combo amp. It has a jack to add an extension cab, but I've never gotten around to adding another cab. Is it worth the extra $$ and sweat carrying it for the improved mids and highs? Is suppose that it's subjective, and I have a tendency towards GAS.

My thought would be to add a 2x10 cab of some form. I'd love to hear from people playing similar rigs and get recommendations for extension cabs. I haven't shopped for amps or cabs since I bought the TE in 93, so I'm not up on the newer gear. Thanks,

Sean

BTW - If it matters, I play a j-bass primarily and sometimes an old Guild Pilot w/EMG's.

2. Just make sure you get the correct ohm cab. It'll probably say on the back by the extension cab jack "4 ohm" minimum or something like that.

3. SeanE

SeanE

Sep 20, 2005
    I think it wants 8 ohms if you push 2 cabs. I'll certainly make sure before I buy anything.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I use a 122H combo, which is the GP12-SMX preamp with a 300 watt power section. Killer combo (I love how it's only about a foot deep - it allows me to fit it in the trunk of my Civic Coupe). I also have the 1153 extension cab which fits perfectly under it. I usually bring it as it turns my combo into a nice big stack.

I don't know how necessary it is, but that 1x15/2x10 combo really kicks booty.