Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Using An All-Tube Head With Schroeder Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyMan, Feb 10, 2006.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey everyone--

I've an Ampeg SVT-AV Classic head, 300 watts @ 4 ohms.

Anyone use a tube head with the Schroes? Which one?

Thanks,

Andy

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Someone in here uses the Peavey Classic 400

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup. I use a Mesa 400+ with a 1212.

I believe the one with the Classic 400 is James Hart.

I also think that Aussie TB'er Popinfresh uses a 410 with a V8.

I love the combination.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Peavey Classic 400 with a 1210 and 1212 (and Mini12 sometimes).

I run both the 4 ohm 1210 and 1212 together with a custom series cable to make them act like a single 8ohm cabinet. Being tube, the output isn't reduced by raising the Ohms. I get 400 watts at 4 OR 8 ohms :bassist:

5. Hi, I use an SVT Classic with a Shroeder 4x10 and 2x12.
    Fat Tube Tone! Both active and passive basses sound amazing through this rig.
    Sorry for the poor quality pic.

Attached Files:

6. Holy Smokes!! I bet that sounds amazing. Does it hurt when you crank it up too much?:D

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm using a Mesa 400+ with a Schroeder 21012. Sounds awesome and handles the fiver really well.:)

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I use a Trace Elliot V-type (V4) with a 1210, I really like the tone I get. Sounds amazing.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I was sooo close to picking a V4 up real cheap. The seller had a change of heart and kept it :crying:

10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    These are really great simple to use heads. That sounds it would have been killer a killer score. I'm sure one will come your way. Actually any of the Trace all-tube amps are great.

The V4's are fairly light for a tube amp at just under 50lbs. its not all that bad. But I bet that's not really of an issue since you have a Classic 400. ;)

11. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Thanks guys. I've an Ampeg '72 SVT and an SVT-AV Classic.

The Ampeg 810 is way too big for most gigs, and I'm dissapointed sound wise in the other cabs Ampeg offers.

So, Ampeg/Schro users, how's the tone compare to the classic Ampeg tone?

Andy

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Sorry for the hijack...but...
    James, could you give any info on series cable you run? I have two 4 ohm Mini 12's that I wouldn't mind trying with my Thunderfunk. The Thunderfunk really kicks a 4 ohm Mini 12 nicely though.
    Thanks!!

13. There is a quote from James about the cable - I did the same thing, I have a pair of 4 ohm cabinets to use with my Classic 400. One thing I have noticed about my cable, if you can - you might want to make the amp end a right angle... seems to be a lot of weight sticking out of the back of the amp. A right angle might hang a little better without as much stress on the jack.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mahalo for that!!

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a mesa 400+ that I used with my schroeders for a while. For electric bass it was really kewl, but for DB it kinda sucked. The Mesa just isn't a DB amp...

Thunderfunk!!!!

16. Haha, YES...this rig is scary loud but very controlable and nice sounding. I have no problems being heard and felt. It's a good feeling having power on tap. ;)

BTW, this head is for sale in the amps for sale forum.
    Makin room for a DB750.

17. I have the same Rig as Horny Toad - Fender 300 Pro and Schroeder 310212. Toad has put up pics of it in a couple of other threads already....