Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using an ELF with their Bag Ends?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, May 4, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was talking to the bass guy at a shop that asked me if I used the ELF with my Bag End speakers. He told me that the Bag Ends are designed to work strictly with their ELF. He tried to tell me that there is a problem with time alignment if you don't use the ELF. I know that this was a pile of dooky. I didn't dispute him as I was wanting to give the Aguilar preamp and the Alembic FX-1 a try out that they had.

I know what time alignment is and don't find this to be a tonal problem, at all. Is there something that I'm missing here? I guess I should read up on this.

When I'm using my BE's it's either the single 15" or the pair of 10's alone. Both cabs are awesome and handle lots of power without raising a beed of sweat.

2. It's ELF. Extremely Low Frequency.

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    The Bag End Extra Low Frequency system consists of an EL processor, which comes in three configurations, and special ELF speaker cabinets. For a detailed explanation visit bagend.com.

While an ELF speaker will work without the processor the sound is very poor even when used with corssovers and or bi-amp circuts. I think this is because ELF cabinets are sealed as opposed to a typical reflex (vented/ported) subwoofer. The processor provides equalization, gain, concealment.

The "low"end result is somthing you have to hear to appreciate. This system would sell itself if Bag End would get it out to the public to try.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Re: Bassheavy

The ELF cabinets need to be used with an EL processor and a seperate amplifier, it's a system. You can't just add the cabinet and get its full potential.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, the elf's are SERIOUS power hogs, due to the way they operate.

with the proper power amp (probably over 1000 watts, i would say) they would totally rock. i've played elf rigs at various namm shows, totally cool, the best super low. i get that low F# loud and clear on them.

6. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Re: Bassheavy

Oooooh! Or I should say doh.

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the replies!

But back to the original question. The regular BE speaker cabs don't require the ELF to be right, right? I've got the S-15X and the D-10X. They sure seem to be right to me.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, then, there ya go. that pretty much is all that matters, right?

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Bag End also has the S18B-D and S15B-D cabs that you don't need the ELF system.. They're a great sub-woofer type cab.. I tried my D10BX-D on each and they sound great.. The 15 is nice and punchy and the 18 rattled the store... The problem is they're big cabinets, but if you do not mind carting them around, check them out.. Guitar-Villa has both in stock and Chris's Guitars in Albany, N.Y. has a used S15B-D .... Good Luck.. Steve...
    Guitar-Villa (888)746-9200
    Chris's Guitars (518) 432-5168

10. The Bag End bass guitar cabs are NOT ELF! They are just stand alone bass guitar speakers. Bag End ALSO has other speaker systems, AMONG them the ELF system. Conclusion: not every Bag End speaker is built for use with ELF. the ELF is a highly professional PA subwoofer system. That salesperson probably didn't know Bag End as bass guitar speakers. He not fit for his job!

Sorry, I got irritated. Don't take it personal.

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I think that the guy was a m#*&^n. I was there to try out an Aguilar DB 659 and an Alembic FX-1. I told him that I wanted to go through the Aguilar 2-10 cab but he made a big deal about using an SWR 2-10 which I've not been a fan of. Even though they were an Eden dealer he really dumped on the Navigator, which I have and really love.

Well I told him that I really liked my Bag Ends and how easily portable they are. This is when he said that they sound like junk unless you use the ELF with them.

As it all turned out I found I liked the tone of the Alembic a bit better than the Aguilar and still like my WP-1 the best.