Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using David Eden's AMp's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TravellinMan, Nov 29, 2003.

1. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    ANyone use these amps and was wondering on what's the good and bad a versatility of Live and studio setting! From what I have played through they have great tone! Thanks!

Take care
    TravellinMan

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The best, thanks for asking.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    An Eden wt-550 owner here.

I was looking for that fat tube tone with a little growl, and I ended up buying the wt-550. The tone form the tube preamp is warm with fat lows, and you can dial in some tube growl as well. If you want full-on tube overdrive, it's there too; just push the preamp further.

I haven't tried it in the studio yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Eden puts out great gear.

4. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I also own a WT-550 and i agree with everything gfab333 posted.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    David Eden is a myth - he never existed, there's only a David Nordschow (and the David cabs of course).

6. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    As do I, and agree with everything Tim Cole, gfab333 and PICK posted.

Interesting thread.... three of us have Eden rigs and MTD535's. Great minds think alike? ..... or somethin'....! :D

7. I have no problems what ever with my WT550. It has the tone and power I was looking for. Before you buy though, you should listen to several different amps to see if they suite your personal tastes.

John

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    As a new proud owner of a EDEN WT-800 and a 410 XLT, all I can say is: I am impressed !!!

Versatile amp, which can be very clean to very dirty. The Enhance button is very "magic".

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I own a WP 100 and love it. The tone is incredible and you can dial in pretty much any sound that you desire. I prefer a nice warm tube sound which is easily achieved with a turn of the tube and enhance features.

10. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    This is really great advice. I played through some Eden cabinets and thought they sounded great. But when it came to trying out their amps they just didn't sound right for me. You can find almost anyone to say something positive about any piece of gear. Make sure to play your bass and cabinets if possible. It can make a difference.

11. Like Jawz, I also use a WT-100 w/ a PLX 2402. Unlike the rest of you though...this particular rig I primarily use as my 'solid state sound'. As with most modern preamps, I've never felt like it really nailed the warmth of my old Sunn 300. I know what you guys are thinking...that amp is ALL tube! Yes it is, but the line out signal bypasses the power tubes. (Only preamp signal present.) Fat and earthy. BUT at nearly 80lbs. - I hoped to find a replacement. I went through all of them, (the major brands)...and thought they all (including the Eden) fell short on the tube thing. (Closest was the pre on the Aguillar DB750) But was really blown away by the versitility of the Eden, so that got picked up. Then I ran accross this guy with a handmade preamp from Burriss Engineering. He paid like $900 for this thing with only bass and treble controls on it...whoa; instant replacement for the Sunn (and 80lbs.) No fiddling around, just plug it in.
    Funny...just the opposite of fivestringdan; really like the preamp and can't stand the cabinets. (little too mid-range honky for me)
    I like the Accugroove, whappo jr.

12. Been gigging a WT600 nearly every weekend for the last 2 years.

Love it love it love it :hyper:

13. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Never tried the Accugroove stuff yet. I've been happy with my Epifani and Genz Benz set up.

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Just recently 're-acquired' my old vt.40... Yep, still a great sounding amp!

-robert

15. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That's the one I was trying to think of. The one with the James Demeter design pre. Yeah, the one I played on really sounded good.

16. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I only use amps for playing live - when I'm in the studio, I go directly into a preamp (usually the engineer's preamp of choice, to keep it simple)

Until recently I used a David Eden WT-500 and D410T cab. For about 8 years, this was my "killer rig" and frankly, I never had a single complaint with it. The sound was always amazing and it always cut.

But it just got to be too damn heavy.. so I now use a Walter Woods head and a pair of 12" Berg cabs (see sig)

The Eden still rocks, I'll just keep it in the practice space. :)

- Cowboy

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    WT 400 and two D210XLTs.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I don't understand why people are afraid of a little weight, and a little work. Unless you are a one man band, and play in 100 story skyscrapers with no elevators, I can't see cutting my rig down. Bandmates help each other yes?

Pat how do you like the two 2x10's together? Too nancy of a man to get it all in one package? :smug: ;)

I kid, and I am not poking at this thread, or it's posters directly, but I cannot believe the general attutide a lot of guys have on gear over 25 frickin' pounds....act like you got a pair guys! :p

19. Tim...the weight is really a BIG issue for me. I'm an average sized guy and sure, I'm not so 'over the hill' that I can't pull my weight. BUT...I do this for living and need to be playing at least 4 dates a week. Often with some of these corporate gigs I play, I find myself schlepping through kitchens and narrow halways, tiny elevators and sometimes stairs. And you just don't have the luxury of taking several trips, 'cause you car or truck had to be valet parked. And band menbers 'helping out'...please. I may find myself on a gig where I may know 1 of the other guys in the 7 piece band! Believe me...you deal with this kind of scenarios enough and you'd do just about anything to have rig that could fit in a backpack!

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    1. Casters
    2. Don't be afraid to ask anyone for a hand if you need it.
    3. As many gigs as you do, I can't blame you....more often than not, most guys are on my gigging scheule...a few times a month.