1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone Using Epifani UL-115 & UL 310 Stacked

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ptidwell, May 3, 2006.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Has anyone TBers tried the UL-310 & UL-115 stacked together. I would like to hear your thoughts on such an array.
    What head and size venue and your assessment.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've tried out the pair at the shop just to hear what they sounded like. Not on a gig or anything like that.

I found that the sound was massive with the 15", yet still had a nice punchyness with the 310. The 310 is a pretty fast sounding cab, and I like it alot. Personally, I'd like 2 310s just because I love their unique character, and fast response. But the 115 does add depth and volume without things getting muddy. It has a thumpier character, and combined with the 310, it gives you more of a traditional old school tone than with the lone 310.

BTW, I used an Aguilar DB750 to try out this pair. You'll need a cab that goes below 4 ohm since the 310 is something like 5.67 ohms or something funky like that.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Kind of a strange impedance and power handling match-up IMO.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

4 ohms and 8 ohms -- that's the same as the Berg HT115/HT310 stack I often use. The only limitation is that I can't bridge into 2.67 ohms, but fortunately I don't need that much power. I get what I need running both off of one channel or one cab per channel (Stew 2.1).

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I guess that makes sense... the 5.3 ohm Epi310UL, which handles more power, would get more power than the smaller 115 at 8ohms. I would think the higher efficiency of the 310 along with the lower impedance (assuming running mono) would just overwhelm the 115.

The Epi310UL has massive low end already.. this is not the combination I would use... but that's just me! I would either get another 310UL or trade in for the 410UL.

6. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i read in a bass guitar magazine (UK) that epi said to treat the funny ohmage on the 310 as a 4 ohms, wouldnt mind trying one myself though.

Dave

7. Fuzzbass

That's a possibility. I was worried about what would happen when mixing my HT310 and HT115. Now, they're different cabs than the Epis: probably different efficiencies. But even when run from the same channel, my Bergs seem to balance evenly.

The usual recommendation on increasing volume is to add more speakers. So, my hunch is that these differences in efficiencies and impedances won't make that much difference overall.... that is, both cabs will be heard to some extent even if one has an apparent advantage in both impedance and efficiency.

Ultimately, one could always run one cabinet per channel (stereo amp with mono signal), and adjust the volume of each channel so the cabs matched.

8. Fuzzbass

True. They advertise the 310 as 4 ohms on their website.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 It's 5.3 ohms, but since many get confused by this stuff, they just list it as 4. The key is to realize that if you combine it with another 8ohm cab, it will give you around a 3ohm nominal impedance.. not 4, which is the minimum required by many SS amps.

Nick doesn't want any amps blowing up due to confusion.... although I hear he's working on an 'episwitch' :cool:

Just kidding on the episwitch!

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    It probably isn't as much of an issue with Bergie's...I was VERY impressed with the HT115 as a standalone cab, and I usually hate 15" speakers. The HT115 with the HT310 is probably alot more balanced than the Epi speakers...

Of course, it doesn't really matter if you are runing a stereo amp with enough power to both cabs.

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'd might work better is the UL 115 could be 4ohm, but I think they're all 8.

12. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I've had the 310NYC and the 115NYC, the 310 really dominated the 115 but the 115 did add a full, well rounded low end. I found the 115 and a 210 to be a better combination, better balanced. I ran both the 115 and 210 (8 ohms each) into a 4 ohm load.

13. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    This seems to be a better match to me, in terms of both impedance and volume...the 310UL is a REALLY loud cab!

14. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Thanks guys for the input.
    I have a UL-310 and couldn't pass up a great deal for a 115.
    My concern was also the impedance, I am running through a Aguilar DB750 with a 5.3 and a 8 ohm load with the two cabs should not hurt the amp but balance between the cabs is questionable. MacGroove seems to be the only one who actually ran these cabs as a stack, his quote "I've had the 310NYC and the 115NYC, the 310 really dominated the 115 but the 115 did add a full, well rounded low end" Anyway I got the 115 for $180
    I couldn't pass that up, thinking I could pair the two. I love the 310 however and I don't think I would give it up for a 210. I will run it through the test this weekend.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

not sure if this helps any considering you're running a DB750, but a while back, i took my peavey DPC1400x/Kern Ip777 rack to the shop to try that very setup, and lordy lordy, that was a sweet setup.

running in stereo, i did have to back off the UL310's power section a bit, but once i found a nice balance, it was FAT FATTY FATTER FATTEST FARKIN FATTENING.