Anyone using just a Sansamp bass driver DI and a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crab, Oct 26, 2011.

1. crab

crab

Oct 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I was just wondering if that combination works well for anyone. Would the Sansamp Bass driver DI and a power amp work , instead of buying a proper bass head?

Thanks
    Crab

2. I’ve heard the Sansamp RBI and PSA1.1 racked with Crown amps - more expensive and powerful than many bass amps and they sound good but not necessary better than a bass amp.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    You mean less expensive.

A 300-500 watt/side power amp can be had for cheap these days; put it in bridge mode with a Bass Driver in front and you've got a raging svt-sounding 1000+watt bass amp! Priced one of those recently?

4. crab

crab

Oct 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    that's what I was thinking. I've had the Sansamp for 10 years, but dont have a bass amp. I'll be ready to play out again soon, and thought this would work.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I haven't used that exact set-up, but I have played a couple of small gigs running my BDDI direct to our P.A. with no amplification onstage (IEMs), and it sounded just peachy.

I don't see why something like walter describes wouldn't work just fine and would save you at least a few hundred dollars and a few dozen lbs.

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I don't own a power amp but used one a couple of months ago with my old and good BDDI.
    Worked very well. There are many lightweight power amps nowadays.

SHMaiden likes this.
  7. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I used this combination for a while when my rig was stolen years ago.. Worked really, really well. I do know that older BDDI's don't work as well in this application, i'm not exactly sure when they upped the gain in the pedal itself, but from what most say the newer models are pretty good for this. The RBI might actually be better suited for this application.

Tech 21 does post here, you might want to search and send them a PM..

8. crab

crab

Oct 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    thanks, folks. Would you still turn the power amp up to the max, and control the volume with the level control on the pedal? I'd be afraid of hitting the level knob with my foot and getting my ass covered in speaker cone.

9. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Yeah, you use the level as your input volume, power amp as the master volume. ( i didn't max out the power amp when i ran this. I was borrowing an older Kustom 2x15 and i didn't want to blow a speaker). Also remember that the gain goes up when you switch the output switch to "Line" as opposed to "Inst". If you will be using it simultaneously as a DI just have the "XLR" switch to "line" instead of "inst"..

Ass covered in speaker cone... that's pretty funny.. as long as it's not flaming i think you'll be ok. :eek:

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    As has been discussed here many many times before, the midrange frequencies tend to get scooped out when using the BDDI. So if mids are an important part of your sound you may want to ditch the old BDDI in favor of the SansAmp model with the mid boost.

11. crab

crab

Oct 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have a BOSS graphic EQ I was going to use as the tone control. The last amp I had was a Music Man tube head in about '94, this should be fun.

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the BDDI mid-scoop works perfectly for grindy, aggressive "rock bass".

otherwise, that EQ pedal should work (run it after the BDDI). you can also dial the blend knob away from the "sansamp" side for more of a dry, clean bass tone.

finally, set the levels on the pedal and then use the power amp's knob as your stage volume; that lets you tweak your stage level while not affecting what the house gets from the sansamp's XLR out.

(my P-bass>bass driver>power amp>2x15 rig has rocked for a few years now; i literally wouldn't want to use anything else, except maybe a real old-school SVT rig--not a classic, a real one!)

13. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i have done this, though i wasn't thrilled with the results. i love my bddi, but i found it was a little quiet as a stand alone pre. for my regular rig, i use an alembic preamp w/ the bddi as a drive in front of it. if i take the alembic out of the equation, the volume is significantly lower.

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what power amp, and is it the older bass driver without the "mic/line" switch?

my newer one is easily hot enough to drive any power amp right into clip.

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I use a Genz 9.0 now for most things. but for years I used an Acoustic Image power amp and a Sansamp Paradriver.
    To be honest, I think it sounds better than the Genz or my Markbass LMII. I use the other heads out of laziness.

16. Paradriver with a Crown XLS Drivecore 1000 here. Best bass rig I've ever owned- has absolutely put my gas in remission.

17. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I run an Rbi into a carvin power amp. I like the tone that comes from the drive knob, but the blend and presence knobs can be dangerous. As someone on here perfectly described one time, the presence knob is basically a fret noise and clank booster. I also find the limited eq a bit disabling at times, a low mid knob would be nice. But as far as a simple and inexpensive rig that won't make you sick if it gets stolen, they sound pretty decent.

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I did for a while into a Mackie FR1400. It simply had nothing that I was looking for. I recently gave the Sansamp away to a TB member.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021