Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using or have used GK Backline Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SonofDadBass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fellow Bassmates,

I was just wondering if anyone here has used or is currently using any cabs in the Gallien Krueger Backline series. Any opinions?

Dan

2. From everything I've read about them, they sound mediocre. Although I've never played them, I've read that the Avatar cabs sound great for the money. Personally I've been playing SWR stuff for years now and really like it. I'm playing the pro series now, but the workingman's 8x10 took abuse from my indie/punkish band without ever losing it's sound quality. In the end I wanted a more balanced, even tone so I went with a Goliath Jr. III (2x10") and a Son of Bertha. (1x15")

An all around good combination for your son would be a 4x10. It should last for many years... at least until he can start blowing his own paychecks on mountains of gear that he'll sell a year after he buys it. Basically the life story of everybody on this board.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have a 210BLXII, but I just use it for home practice. For the low price, it serves my purposes fine. I wouldn't use it for one of my normal gigs, but if I'd pick up a coffee shop job, or something similar, I'd take it and use it. It sounds decent for less than $200.

It's certainly no Bergantino, EA, Eden, etc, but for what it is, it is fine.

4. girlsaremean41

girlsaremean41 Banned

Jul 17, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    The previous bassplayer of the band that I'm in played a GK backline head and a backline 410. IMO it sounded terrible. He had no volume, no bottom end, and no presence what so ever. However, I'm sure some of it had to do with the fact that he didn't know how to EQ an amp.

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    no, the cabs kind of lack bottom. they're ok in the mids and highs, but they really lack the BOOM I'd like from my low end.

6. baritones

baritones

Oct 5, 2005
    I played through some recently at a gig where my group opened up for a regional headliner. Their bass player told me to use his rig rather than set up my Hartkes and cut down on our stage space. I wasn't that impressed. GK makes great amps but their cabs are mediocre. I use a GK 400RB with Hartke 2x10 and or 1x15. The perfect combination for me. The GK combos are ok for small gigs but when I want a cab, it's Hartke.