1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using PA gear for a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lposavad, Sep 23, 2008.

1. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Some of the TB community must be doubling on other instruments (keys, bass pedals, triggered sequencers, etc.).
    Is anyone using a PA-type setup (mixer, power, full range cabinet) for a stage rig?
    Being space-challenged on stage (plus the schelp factor), I can't see bringing multiple amps...

2. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    i thought about getting a pa cab (active) for my rig, but the full range might be off, idk...

i want to get a power amp instead of using me current head, and add a 15:ninja:

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used a small PA long before I had an amp.

EDIT: Actually at gigs, I'd use 1000w mixer into 2 2X15 JBL speakers.

4. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I think its a good thing, unless you want a specific vintage style tone.

I've done it. Not Live Often.

I did play through a pair of JBL 2225's a couple of times. Those are old PA 15's Lots of growl.

Not much top end.

I've Rocked out through a huge PA just for the hell of it. Good Stuff.

I've thought about being a the mystery bass player from FOH from Time to time but haven't gotten the nerve up to sneak into some singer song writers mix yet.

One of these days I'll be conduct a little guerilla Bass Playing.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    In Passing Wind I double on guitar synth and I use processed vocals that I need to control from onstage. For years I used a Mackie 1202VLZ to mix effects and instruments, but I've outgrown it and am likely going to use my Crest XR-20 when I get back to doing some PW gigs. I'll be using two homemade 15/6/horn cabs, or maybe one of those plus a 12" co-ax cab when I want to keep it "simple".:eek:

Check out the Carvin LS1503 threads, lots of love for PA cabs for bass there...

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The JBL's I was using had some nice compression horns - good enough top end for me.

7. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've done a zillion small gigs running my upright or fretless into the board then everything (vocals, guitar, etc...) through a single Mackie SRM450. It's been great for that. SRMs are pretty tough units.

I once tried using said Mackie as a bigger bass amp, with a SansAmp for flavor. That was so-so, I think I was pushing my luck. It works better for upright - deeper and more natural-sounding than my little GK combo. I might try the smaller Mackie (SRM350?) for Jazz gigs.

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets

:bassist:

9. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    For a while, I played through the old P.A. I used to rap through about a billion years ago. It was nothing fancy - Crest power amps and Yamaha floor wedges. I was just trying to use the gear I had before buying more. It sounded good enough for rehearsals.

--Bomb :bassist:

10. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    I've been doing something similar. I just started playing bass full-time, and I don't have a decent bass rig yet. I've been playing through a Boss GT-8, then into a Mackie SRM450. It sounds OK, but I haven't pushed it real hard yet. I use a Marshall model in the preamp, with the gain way down, a bit of compression, and eq'd for bass.

I'm on the lookout for something more "appropriate," but funds are a bit tight at the moment. I'm hoping this makeshift rig can tide me over for a while.

My biggest concern is doing damage to the Mackie -- any danger there?

Thanks.