Anyone using Pods here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silver26, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Anyone here using a Bass Pod (or Pod with the bass expansion)? Im curious as to what amps, if any, sound good with them live.

2. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I use a Pod, but i use the one with the 'i' infront of it. :bag:

Sorry bad joke! ;)

3. Oh man, that was really bad.

But really, Im looking on info for running a pod into a bass amp. Im a guitarist with a pod, moving to bass - and wanna know the best thing to do.

Id like to find some kinda power amp that could power guitar AND bass cabs ... but I don't know that much about it.

Any input could help.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I run mine into a QSC poweramp and a PA speaker.

I just bumped up a large bass podlive thread that may give you some useful info.

5. How much did the poweramp run ya?

I'll check out that thread too ... thanks.

6. the giz

the giz

Aug 19, 2006
    i own one too, realistically you can run a POD into any amp but, the sound is sort of KORGish, if you have ever heard any KORG effects.

7. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    I have the Bas PodXT, the thing is superb!!! I use it with an 8 string Warr guitar, in front of a 220 watt Ampeg BA115HP combo amp. The only thing about the pod is the presets are pretty much useless (as are most brands' presets). It HAS to be tweaked. All you need is patience and the willingness to sit and tweak away. To me, that is the fun part. Trying to get THE sound. And with this unit it is very very possible. The effects are great, although some of the synths are useless.

8. I have an XT Live. I just play at home, no gigs yet :) I find it very complex to use but once you figure it out the damn thing is amazing. I play it through a Line6 LD 300 Pro. I'm really happy with the combination. I'm just starting to mix and match amps and speaker cabs but most of the preloads sound great as well.

9. I thought about the rackmount one as a preamp, but it was just too expensive.

10. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I used to run my Bass POD direct, back when my former band use in ears. Worked really well. Never used it through my rig though.

11. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Im using my basspodxt with my perfect 10. Love the Classic rock setting. Some of the presets are gr8 fun. Like the random sounding one (youll understand if u get one) but unusable entirely. This also helps me boost my signal SO much. Its worked well for me at a gig and i used all different settings in every song for variety.

Its great to create your own sounds plus you can download more from the internet. Also simple for recording quick ideas onto the computer if you dont have an audio interface.

I dont know about the Guitar pod but with the basspodxt the use of a balanced cable from the model output helps the signal greatly too.

I love this piece of kit and might be my pride and joy although my new p bass will alter that :D

Just a few points i found... anymore q's let me know

12. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    About the only one I cared for was one called Quadrophia I pulled down off their site. All the other ones got flushed.

I've been gigging w/ the XT Live weekly, so far no problems. The panel is pretty intuitive, and I was able to dial in the patches I wanted fairly quickly. I use a considerable amount of the 64 slots for a variation of a tone...a little more chorus here, a little more OD there...its convenient enough to step back and forth to get the tone I want.

I initially was using the pedal for the effects, wasn't using the modeling (gear snobbishness raising its ugly head here). I finally came to my senses and used some of the modeling sets and confess that I use a good assortment of them during the course of a night.

Overall, I think its a good rig, and I'd replace it if it got stolen.

13. zooid

zooid

Jan 4, 2005
    Binghamton, NY
    I used the Bass Pod Pro XT for a few years a while back.

When I did I ran it through the following:

Stewart World 2.1
    Acme Low B2's (two of them)

I had the short board as well.

Loved it. For what I needed at the time it worked out great. Best thing it did for me was give me a chance to "audition" other amps and cabs I otherwise wouldn't have been able to try.

In the end, I went with what 90% of my presets were. I figured that was the "sound" I really wanted anyway.

Good luck with the POD, hope you find what you're looking for. I found it to be a great unit overall but it required a LOT of tweaking for me to get things right.

14. I use my bass pod with an ashdown MAG 300 and a Ashdown MAG 210 Cab.
    Havent had any issues and really boosts the input signal. Gets the VU meter moving which looks cool. :hyper:
    In all seriousness though, because of the abilty to really shape the sounds coming out of the bass pod, you should be able to get a great tone out of anything (within reason). Its just about knowing your equipment and getting the best you can out of it. :smug:

15. I've got the Pod PRO (the older one) that is really good for recording but as to live, it just leaves me kind of un-satisfied. I swapped it out today for my SVP-Pro. I'll probably use it again though. If you do a lot of recording, it is tough to beat.

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've had a guitar pod v2 for a few years now, and for a long time the bass player for a band I was playing drums in would use that along with my PLX 1602 after his head melted down. It sounded good enough that he decided he didn't need to replace his own gear. :rolleyes:

If you look a few pages back, Tommixx did a review of the bass pod which has been recently posted to. There are a lot of useful comments from him and others. I personally dig the amp modeling but think the effects suck for the most part.

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    The Tube, Rock Classic (Ampeg), Eights(GK), Studio (SWR) and California (Mesa).

Really, it's hard to get a bad sounding amp IMO. Just gotta tweak it to your preference.

My first 12 channels (1-3,A-D) are all originals based on the top listed amps.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021