Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using Rotosound SM665

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tommiaho, Nov 25, 2003.

1. tommiaho

tommiaho

Nov 18, 2003
    Finland
    Is anyone in here using Rotosound Swing Bass 665 strings? Gauges are 40 • 60 • 80 • 100 • 125.
    Are they good strings?
    I use mainly Warwick Red Label strings (45 • 65 • 85 • 105 • 135) and I think 135 e-string is too BIG for me. I'd like to change to those Rotosounds but first I had to ask your opinion.
    :p

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive used Roto Swing 66s more than any other string but I found that nickel strings wore out too fast for me so I switched to a stainless type. The Rotos were my favorites for a long time though. They are a great all around string.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The 5-string version of the Swingmaster set.
    Good choice!

Slug
    Roto-fan

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Roto 66's die way too fast for me. I've only tried the five-stringers once, and the B gave out pretty quickly.

5. tommiaho

tommiaho

Nov 18, 2003
    Finland
    Would cleaning or boiling those strings help when they are like "dead"?

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I have Roto .45-.130 on both my five strings just now, and really like them - I have always liked them. I've tried a few sets of strings over the years (not many - just what was available locally). Both 5 stringers were previously strung with Warwick Red Labels .45 - .130 (???I though .130 - but you've said they were .135..)

They were OK, but difficult to intonate!

I like the sound and the feel of the Rotos - although many people will say they have a 'dry' feel to them, which I think they have - but I like it!

7. tommiaho

tommiaho

Nov 18, 2003
    Finland
    I'm trying to find good strings and Roto SM665 at least LOOK good. Gauges would have to be 45-65-85-105-125 or something like that. So is there any other string options?
    :confused:

8. I currently have a set of these on my Stingray5. I must say they're the best sounding and feeling set I've ever used on this bass (I've previously used D'Addario XL5s and Ernie Balls). But I think most of that is attributed to the gauge.

So .40-.125 is the gauge for me. Unfortunately not too many companies have 'em. Ernie Ball just came out with a 5 string Super Slinky set.