1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using SWR Goliath Jnr III as a stand alone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Mar 24, 2006.

1. I've just managed to get a hold of one of these for $550 Australian. (Trust me - if you live in Australia, this is a very good deal). I ran it with a GK 800RB in rehearsal and was pretty blown away by the clarity I got from it.
    I've got two gigs this weekend to give it a good airing but I'd be interested in any reports from people who have used this cab as a stand alone. I've never really looked at SWR gear before. Anyone out there got any good, bad or ugly SWR cab reports? Is the 2x10 enough for medium sized clubs? Anyone using two together?

2. Markus Bender

Markus Bender

Dec 15, 2005
    Germany
    I have two goliath junior IIIs and use either one or two, depending on location. I played on some very big stages with this setup (using my trusty old SM400), though having always PA and sometimes monitor support. I always liked sound and volume.
    But I'm going to switch to a new setup, something more modern and lighter (probably iAmp800 with two wizzys). I'll keep the SWR rig 'cause I like the sound, I just think it's time to buy something new (I'm using the SM400 since 1993). GAS, you know?! :)

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I had a Goliath III Jr/SOB 1x15 setup. The Jr. was my main cab for a while and I used it by itself on many occasions. I don't like SWR tweeters (too harsh) but I enjoyed the overall clear but deep sound the cab produced (especially with Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 and Eden WT-400 heads). Paired with the SOB I could play really loud. The Jr. also sounded great with a Carvin 1x12 cab I had which sounded pretty trashy on its own but added some nice midrange.

The whole SWR setup was bigger/heavier than I wanted so I swapped it for two Bergantino HT-112, which I prefer (and can fit inmy car trunk, unlike the SWRs).

4. I do. It's a good cab, but not necessarily a great cab,
    i.e. it sounds good for the weight/bulk/price.
    Does OK by itself (unless your band is really loud) and works well in tandem with another cab (and I've tried several).
    It sounds OK with my GK 800rb, but sounds better with more power (my cab is 8 ohm).

Of course, the above is MHO.

5. Thanks guys. The jury is still out for me. We palyed an medium sized venue last night and I felt that the cab sounded excellent at times but did have some variable distortion and "bottoming out". I have realised now that the horn attenuator is something I have no undertsanding of. It was set at 7 so I turned it down to 5 and the tone consolidated a fair bit better. To be honest, I have no idea why:confused:
    I still have my Schroeder Mini 12 which is pretty awesome for it's size. The only killer is that it is a 4ohm - while the SWR is an 8. I'm thinking of using the bi-amp in the GK to run the two. I figure I may as well have a go this evening during my gig and see how it sounds. My first shot at it at home wasn't very successful but I'll spend a bit of time tweaking it to see what happens.
    Thanks again.

6. After Hurricane Katrina destroyed my GIII, which I really liked, I decided to replace it with a smaller version since a lot of gigs were also trashed and I would have to carry my own gear ( my roadie was also displaced).

G.C. in Mobile were closing out their SWR line & I picked up a GIII JR. for $360USD. Got it home and tried it with my Tfunk 550 and it couldn't handle low notes at medium to high volume. I play four string Jazz & Precsion and it farted out on anything below low "A". Took it back and got their last GIII 4x10 for $511 which is a great price.

I keep seeing posts by guys who use one 12", two 10s etc. and wonder what volume level they're playing at. I play classic rock, R&B and jazz but at a volume level that's not crazy loud.
    I admit I haven't tried any of the new generation of small cabs other than the GIII JR. but would sure like to find a smaller 30-50 lb rig that will cut the gigs. Maybe I should try Schroeder!!

7. Condolences on your gear and Katrina in general. :( I'm running a Avatar 2x12 & 2x10 setup - granted, in a completely unconventional method - the pre-effects out on my Mini Mo' to the 2x12" as a "main cab", the post-effects to the 2x10" w/ the tweeter cut (cut some unusable hiss, plus the 2x12 covers the full range just fine) as an "effects cab" - and if I wasn't from a rock background and running a "normal" rig" I'd consider cutting back to just 1 12" speaker. However, one positive is that I can run the single 2x12 as a great standalone cab and still compete volume-wise.

A large part of my decision besides the effected setup is a bad back (missing the better parts of T7, T8, and T9) as well as Cerebral Palsy and the total weight, but I can say that even with the 2x12 as the largest single component, my entire rig (cabs plus rack plus footpedal, tuner, etc.) weighs less than the single Peavey TNT combo I was using in High School and for years in the clubs afterwards. :D

I love SWR as much as the next person, but I can fully admit that they've fallen behind the "technological curve" in cabinet design and it's showing, especially in the GIIIjr, and that they missed the boat on 12". I like the concept of a "Tweeterless Rock Cab" that was the 12-Pack/Stack and would pick a few up at the discontinued prices if I didn't just spring for a MacBook, but that's not what bass players are looking for in 12" cabs - they want full-range. There are now 2x10"s that are workable, gigging, low-B handling cabinets. The GIIjr is not one of them. :scowl:

Absolutely check out the "new generation" of cabinets - even non-Neo based, they're still a large improvement over ones designed 10-20 years ago.

8. Thanks guys. This is interesting stuff. I think I've found a pretty decent solution for my louder gigs. Theres a definite mid-range/treble bark coming out of the Goliath. It's pretty cool in the right setting but not on it's own in larger gigs.

Last night I ran my GK 800rb with the Goliath Jnr through the 100 watt amp and my Schroeder mini 12 through the 300 watt amp. I dropped nearly all of my low mids from the EQ, boosted the rest a tad and had a pretty powerful sound on stage. In effect, I've scooped my tone a bit but the results were pretty impressive. I have one self indulgent slap bit that I crank out in my bands performance - it sounded very fat. I even had a bit of the grinding rock sound thats completely inappropriate for my band but fun to have around:D

I really like the clarity of the SWR. I've heard people mention that it runs best at high power and I have noticed that it kicks to another level. I'm going to use it almost as a stage monitor with my Mini 12. The results so far are what I was hoping. Obviously, the Mini 12 is an amazing cab by itself. I have found that the Goliath boosts some sound response, clarity and presence and thats exactly what I needed. So I'm happy.:cool:

9. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I find the comments regarding insufficient lows a little odd. I get a lot of lows from my GJIII, so much so that I generally had to dial out lows in my last band. It wasn't that the cab couldn't keep up, it was that I was just getting too much boom. Maybe a lot of this has to do with how people are EQing?

10. I've posted on similar threads, but what the heck... here is my take on this again.

I really like the GoliathIII cab, and used on for many years... loud, crips and punch with plenty of usable low end. So, I thought.... cool, I'll get the GIIIJr, for smaller gigs... I thought.... same sound, not quite as loud and much smaller. That's not what I heard with that cab. While it still had a similar tone profile to the wonderful GIII, it really farted out at even moderate volumes. Not even close to the volume and low end response of the Eden210XLT I replaced it with.

Still... as posted above, it sounded great at low volumes. However, there are so many wonderful, loud 210's out there now by Eden, Epifani, Accugroove, EA, Acme, etc... depending on your tone preference and weight requirements. I don't find the GIII Jr. to be in the same league as those cabs regarding low end punch at even moderate volumes.

11. I have the jr 3 and the son of bertha and to be honest, the sob would be a better choice for a stand alone. Not because it has more low end, but because it has a smoother mid range.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've seen it used for jazz at cafe type venues, worked fine and sounded great. The guy had it tilted upward.

13. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Been using one since 1998 with a SWR Bass 350. Good for practice while in a corner for more room support. On gigs (4 piece/covers) I either used it with SOB 1x15 or Aggie 112. But for practice, it did the job week in, week out.

Buzz

14. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I just retired ( well i did finally blow up a speaker) my Goliath III jr. It served me well as a standalone cab for 13 years. The older model with the rear facing ports. Used a variety of heads with it and it always worked well, enough to cut rooms with a loud band usually with no PA support.

15. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Tendollarcat - yeah that's a sweet deal on the cab! I have my Goliath Jr. III and I love it. In saying that, I'd only use it in small cafes on its own, it's not a terribly loud cab. For larger gigs I've used it with an Ashdown MAG 115 Deep and suddenly the sound becomes HUGE! (My 350W Trace doesn't need to be turned past 3 out of 10). I'm upgrading from the Ashdown to an EA NL-210 so I'm sure you'll be seeing my opinion on these boards soon.

A word to the people who complain of 'farting' etc, my speakers start to go haywire at medium to large volumes too, but ONLY WHEN I RAISE UP THE 30 Hz EQ SLIDER! With this dropped (down to near zero), the sound gets much tighter, and being a 4 string player I can afford to cut the 30 Hz sounds. There's still plenty of bass, and it can get to higher volumes without going crazy. Try doing that and see how high you can crank it!!!! Also boosting the highs on the amp EQ and dropping the attenuator on the cab seems to get me clearer highs. I think spending some time with it will get you the sound you need!

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    IMO the earlier versions of the Jr. were capable of much louder volumes prior to distorting. This can obviously be attributed to a much tighter port. I owned one of the 1st generation Goliath Jr. cabs and I used it stand alone for 3+ years. We didn't play extremely loud but I never once heard it break up (used a SM-400 with it). I currently use a Jr. III at church and it breaks up at moderately low volumes (low B particuarly). IMO the Jr III much better low end than the orignal Jr's. I guess that's the trade off.

17. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I forgot to mention one thing. When I use the Goliath Jr. III solo I set it on its side (one handle on ground, the other facing the celing) for better projection.