1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone using Tech21 Sansamp Blonde on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pumatheman, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Hi folks!!
    i'm about to buy a sansamp to use with bass and my amp marshall bds with 15'' cab.
    I've tryed bass driver di and vt bass, both very good sounding but feeling different from what i'm looking for: a power vintage fat round bottom ass sound with mids... Lets say more on clean side and NOT a "basically" tough hard tone at all, plus a good overdriver to get dirt when needed.
    Bass driver di to me was feeling more "cold" and nicely "hard" but not hot and not fat enough, vt bass very much fat but too tought for my target sound, so I wondering if the giutarlesque blonde could do the job for me but unfortunatly i can try one...i've seen forum folk topomorto sample on you tube and read abou few good feedbacks on the forum but no more.
    Is the blonde not good as "an all around sansamp" on bass becouse it is designed for giutar?
    Who is using it still after the good first thoughts posts on some years ago here in the forum?
    Maybe i've to search for a para driver instea
    d?

2. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Had a Blonde for a few months.
    Found it to have a very limited range that only worked well for bass with the character knob set at full CCW. Used with bass, the blonde is a one trick pony, unlike the VT & BDDI which are versatile tone boxes.

3. BenM7301

BenM7301

Dec 21, 2010
    I have a bass driver and a 15" cab that I use. If you really want a vintage tone try using some flatwound strings. After all they are the original bass string. I use flats on my p-bass and it gets a killer fat tone when combined with the the bass driver. You'd be surprised how many of the pros use flats.

4. thanks!!

@G.Bisson, character knob worked only for few action? What about the tone (in zone it worked)?

@Ben, yes I've got a good vintage tone on my P, with flat wounds, I like it very much.

I need more presence, a more defined fat sound and a little drive I could need in my band.

I'm feeling the need of a sansamp.

I tried the bass driver with my J, witch is my main bass, I really liked it... I feels it with more range for my tone research, more than with vt bass that looked to me as very hot very powerfull and tough but too much in the "single sound" way, a "way" a little far from my search.

5. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The Blonde can certainly be used for bass. It all comes down to personal taste. I don't know how easy it is to try our products in Italy. I always suggest trying before buying.

How are you using the pedal? Into a bass amp? Which one? The Bass Driver and Para Driver pedals both offer the blend function. The Character pedals don't.

The Character pedals are designed to get you specific amp tones whereas the Bass Driver and Para Driver allow you to "blend" in your direct tone as well. The Para Driver would be the most open ended in terms of tonal flexibility. It does require more patience and tweaking.

It sounds like you might want a multi-function pedal when you say you want the ability to get overdrive. The Bass Driver and VT Bass Deluxe would be better choices if you want to have different sounds that can be switched on and off.

6. thanks for your post Tech21
    prodoucts are easy to try in Italy, I've tried BBDI and VT in a shop through my regular jazz bass and rig marshall bds 7215 =)
    unfortunaly the Blonde wasn't available in that shop (neither in all the shops in/around my city) but forum and youtube makes me curious about using it to get nearer to my target sound.
    BDDI and VT are great but little far from the sound I want, PDDI needs to be ordered and cost about two times the Blode.
    Blend function is very useful but I know myself and think I 'll use more the on/off button than it... Overdrive pot and on/off button are the commands I feel to would use then.
    at this point I feel that could be the case to take the risk and order a Blonde with the hope to get nearest to the sound I want.

7. Blonde purchased shortly after my previous post and it is always on pedal... I love the smooth way it could drive the sound... very fat and warm but could be tought with a little tweeking.

8. Liverpool user here - it sounds awesome with my Darkglass B3K.

Grindy, with plenty of low-end.

The other Tech21 pedals are hidden gems for bassists who aren't completely in love with the SVT.:)

9. and don't forget about the smooth and sensitive equalizer!!