1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using the 3015LF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    First off is anyone using this speaker? Tell us all about it.

Second is anyone putting these in a line of Bass Cabs?

Did some searching didnt find much.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Look at greenboy's Carvin LS1503 threads for starters. This driver has been extensively discussed here on Talkbass, and quite a few TB'ers have them. It is more or less a subwoofer (dies at ~800 Hz), and you almost certainly will want another driver (or two) sitting on top of it for bass guitar applications, unless you really hate midrange and highs with a passion. It wants a larger-ish box volume too, say 3.8 cu ft or better if you want an optimally flat alignment. That said, I like it a lot in the DIY cab on the left in the picture, which is a tweaked EV TL-606 design of ~3.3 cu ft net volume. This is one of the rare drivers that can actually handle its rated power without displacement limiting or other 'gotcha' issues if it's installed in a decently engineered cab.

[​IMG]

3. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    always a pleasure to those cabs passinwind.

cheers

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thank you.

Are there any cabs out there that come with this driver? I can build all day welding steel and aluminum but not much the wood worker.

Looking at maybe a 15 setup to go with my 4x10. I would much rather have something in the 4 ohm range though. I only saw an 8 ohm version on the site.

Nice looking cabs BTW.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I've installed one in my BFM Omni15TB cab. It's crossed at about 500Hz to the Alpha 8MRA midrange.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, I pleasure myself with those cabs, too, Charlie ;)

7. I'm not sure but I think Dr. Bass cabs use the 3015lf in their neo options.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool. :bassist:

9. Who made those cabinets in that picture? Can they email me a schematic? Those are awesome looking! I am not a woodwork AT ALL but I want to try to build something in the next month or so just to see if I can do it. ;-)

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Ping TB'er Kindness. He has a Low Down Sound cab with the 3015LF and the 18 Sound 6ND410 midrange driver. I think he bought the cab loaded with other drivers and swapped new ones in though.

You could also consider using greenboy's fEarful cab drawings and having someone local to you build a cab for you. I am fairly accomplished at building electronic widgets, but am completely hopeless as a woodworker. My plan has always been to build a few ugly but good sounding cabs, then con someone else into building me some professional-grade ones using mine as models. But the response has been so good when I gig with the DIY cabs that I'm not really all that motivated to bug my friends to start the next builds.:cool:

As far as wanting a single-15 4 ohm cab, I haven't found any neo 15s in 4 ohms that can touch the 3015LF or the driver in my other pictured cab, the BMS 15N630. The BMS driver is fabulous, but it's danged near Unobtainium in the US by all accounts.

I did 'em all by myself, with lots of cussing, head scratching, bloody knuckles, etc. A lot of people seem to like them, but I see mostly finish flaws and design choices I could've done better. They do sound good for my purposes though.

You might do well to start with the TL-606 cab if the fEarful one linked above seems out of your league. Probably better to use the Kappalite 3015 (non-LF version) if you go that route though. The TL-606 plans are here. But greenboy's design or maybe one of Bill Fitzmaurice's are nice modern multi-way designs that I'd consider more worth the considerable hassle of building.

Speaking of hassle, the little top boxes in my picture took a ton of work (and money!) to design and build -- much more than the woofer boxes. I get lots of PMs asking for guidance on crossover design, even though I'm just a dabbler at this in most respects. It's not for the faint of heart, alssimsayin'.;)

Thanks to the rest of you for the kind words. Now someone find this man a commercial cab that uses the 3015LF in a reasonable alignment, please!

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Those cabs a re very nice looking. I bet they do sound good. Like to hear them some day.