1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using the big Markbass Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Aug 1, 2007.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Almost a year later and still no real user reviews on the bigger Markbass cabs........ the 106HF & 106HR, and the 152HR.

Lately I have been involved in some new projects requiring some very low tunings and have been tossing around the idea of getting a second large cab to go next to my Bergie NV610. ( not to use together of course, but instead of... for those seriously drop-tuned gigs .........:bassist: )

After trying a Markbass Little Mark II yesterday.... I'm now considering buying a whole second rig........ I was really impressed with the Little Mark II. Believe the hype... it really does sound clearer than hardly any amp I've ever used. Sound wise this amp really does compete with the Thunderfunk. It also possesses the most effective 4-band EQ I've ever experienced. I am a compulsive knob twister, and I found "my sound" in seconds. Previously the only bits of gear I'd been able to get an acceptable tone from without literally weeks of EQ tweaking were the Aguilar DB 659 and the Kern IP-777. With the Markbass it was Bass at 2 o'clock, Lo-mid flat, Hi-mid at 9 o'clock, treble flat, VLE at 9 and VPF at 9 ....... AND WHAM!! Its a hit!!

So, even tho the LM is definitely the loudest 500 watter I've ever used, I still think it would serve me best paired with a ported cab if I'm gonna try and get the really high SPL Lows. That being said, if I'm gonna do the Markbass amp the Bergie NV215 is out of the running for now.... and I'd really love to know how the Markbass cabs sound.

Does anyone have any real practical knowledge of any of the bigger Markbass cabs? I know Markbass professes to be practically partners with B&C drivers, but if that was the case I'd have thought B&C would produce some 24 Ohm drivers so Markbass could give us a 4 Ohm 610 in the same fashion enclosure as Bergantino, Genz Benz and Epifani does..... not a power-sapping 6 ohms.

To me, Genz Benz has to be the best sounding PORTED 610 I've used, with the Epifani a distant second and the Ampeg not even on the radar........how does the Markbass 610 stack up? Anyone played the 215?

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i've got a 104hf, not exactly the same as a 610 but it wouldn't be too different.

if you're comparing the markbass cabs to your bergie, don't. let me tell you that the 104HF doesn't hold a candle to my old ht322 as far as tone is concerned. but its much lighter, and i'll sacrifice a little tone for a lot of weight (at the end of the day, the audience can't tell a difference anyway).

the ht322 went lower, higher, had smoother mids, and the tweeter ACTUALLY WORKED! something that i still don't understand about the MB cabs, the tweeters don't seem to do much more than add ridiculously high frequencies.

seriously, get a 322 to compliment your nv610.

3. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Haahaha was thinking about it, but it wouldnt be loud enough.... two HS410's would do the job... but thats a whole different level of expense...

4. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    blizzump!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    How's it goin Pablo?

Man, for what you're doing, do yourself a favor and get the 800 watt amp that Markbass makes. It'll push a lot more air...I love my LMKII but for what you do...800 watts my friend.

Also, look into the new Bergantino 410's. Those may be your ticket.

6. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    bump............does ANYONE use a Markbass 610?