Anyone using the BOSS TU-3w Waza Craft Tuner Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamzcl, Jan 2, 2018.

1. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I feel like buying a new pedal and thought I'd give a new tuner a look. I've been using a TU-3 since they came out and the TU-2 prior to that and have always been happy with them. Is anyone using the newer TU-3w Waza Craft with bypass and have any opinions on it?

Really like the black housing and blue LED for a change. I'll probably still hang onto my TU-3 either way.

tu-3w_angle_1_gal.jpg

dmc79 likes this.
  2. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    These things look awesome but really what does it actually do to justify the huge price tag?

3. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    Just picked up one of the recently released “Made in Japan” versions. The switchable true-bypass/buffer is nice. This buffer sounds better than most of the other Boss pedals I own and works well as a first in chain pedal. The bypass/2nd output is also nice.

They can easily be found for $115-$125 shipped and I would suggest picking up a new MIJ vs an MIT/IIJ for better resale value, if you think you might flip it. The bonus is the MIJs also have the classic silver screw.

4. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    I remember first hearing about the Waza Craft Tuner - I thought it was a joke. I figured it was one of those pseudo 4chan prank type products that you see them do with apple ads.

Anyways, I am intrigued on what makes this pedal stand out from the rest. Anybody have input?

FugaziBomb likes this.
  5. It's black...

6. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    You forgot the blue LED screen! Red is out of style yo

7. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Love the BOSS Japan stuff and am intrigued about the MIJ version - where can these be found? More than likely it would be a keeper.

8. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    Talk to your favorite Boss dealer. As dealers turnover inventory new stock should be MIJ. Also, it looks like a few dealers have them on Reverb.

jamzcl likes this.
  9. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I was considering the TU-3W, but then ended up with the Polytune 3 which has the bonafide buffer built in.

10. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I wish I had enough money to afford sht I don't need

11. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    If you're gonna spend that much on a tuner, I'd go with a Turbo Tuner over this.

Maxfenderbass and BeauZooka like this.
  12. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

What's different about it from the regular TU-3?

13. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Nah, I'll stick with my faithful TU-3 I have been using for years and it has yet to let me down.

14. haystack55

haystack55 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I went from an ancient TU-2 to the Waza Craft TU-3 and it was a huge functional improvement, but couldn't speak to what makes it different from the regular TU-3. It certainly didn't change my sound; significantly enough for me to notice, anyway. I just liked the way it looked and had a few extra bucks to spend, so I went for it.

dmc79, Christian Soto and jamzcl like this.
  15. How's the accuracy (compared to the "stock" tuner)? Any report there?

16. haystack55

haystack55 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The accuracy seems to be spot on. I'll add too, that the blue LED is a LOT easier for me to see in certain stage lighting situations.

jamzcl likes this.
  17. Re; Blue lights- me too; especially since I wear glasses in "real life"! LOL

I asked about the accuracy only because I would assume that for the additional cost, it might be better/a tighter tolerance... Hmm. Maybe an A/B comparison should be in the works!

The other reason I ask, is that while my Planet Waves tuner (original unit, not the newer one) has began to emit weird noises through the signal chain when I'm tuning (unless I mute my pedalboard)- so replacement may be in the cards soon (and I still can't afford a Peterson, although I've used one many times!).

Thanks!

jamzcl and haystack55 like this.
  18. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    There was a side-by-side video on YouTube between the TU-3w and TU-3 that the TU-3w seemed to lock in a millisecond quicker than the TU-3.

I also like the stompbox design of the BOSS too over the others that have the button to engage/disengage with the 'click'. Probably step on mine close to a hundred times during a 4hr gig and like having the larger part to press.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a MIJ one last night and will see how it goes :D

dmc79 and markmck79 like this.
  19. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I wanted one of these briefly but wound up with the turbo tuner 300. The Boss I believe is accurate to +/- 1 cent, the Turbo to +/- .02 cents. For gigging and such the Boss would be great but I do appreciate the better accuracy of the Turbo for intonation and setup purposes. The Turbo seems to be built pretty rugged and visibility in direct sunlight has been good. It's also cheaper and I've seen used ones on Reverb for right around $100.

jamzcl likes this.
  20. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I don't mind spending a little extra for a pedal that could possibly be used for decades. The TU pedals seem to be pretty bullet proof from my experience.

dmc79 likes this.