1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone using their upright for....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Apr 23, 2006.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    music that is alittle more for the slab bass such as rock or funk stuff. I'm very interested in pushing the limits on what types of music bassist can use the upright for...I just joined a band that has a sound comparable to early Rolling Stones, and the Who. If anyone has examples of real funky or bassist playing their URB's in more of a slab style please share.....:help:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I use my upright for about 30% of songs in my blues/ folk band and 90% of the time in my acoustic rock band. Any jazz or classical I play on it is strictly on my own time for fun. The Bare naked Ladies bassist uses hsi upright quite often and pulls it off beautifully. Nothing wrong with rockin out on a DB- with a bow and some pop's rosin you can really make growl like a monster and compete with distorted guitars :D.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    In one of the groups I play with, we do some funk kinda stuff. I consider it a real challenge to try to play with a funk rhythmic feel on DB, and a really rewarding one when it goes well. The last trio record I did had a cut on it that really pushed my boundaries as far as that goes. Funny enough, it ended up being one of my favorite cuts on the record.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've been doing a fair amount of singer/songwriter kinda stuff, and I play with a band in Long Island doing Zepp, Isley Brothers, etc. Low volumes I'd prefer my bass, but the with LI band I play the Alter Ego and get a very 'upright-y' sound and it works great.

It can get very physical if you're doing a lot of eigth-note funk, so having your chops together is a must...

5. When I've got my iPod set to shuffle, I'll try to play along with anything that happens to be on. It is challenging, I'm just not accomplished enuf yet to pull of anything too crazy. But it's great that you bring it up...I wish we'd see more UB players out here...especially in small combos and singer/songwriter type gigs.

gomez

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I remember seeing a bassist on myspace.com that played some real funky lines on URB and he was a real great player!

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I mentioned this band the other day in another thread....check out G.Love and Special Sauce.

8. Is their website work safe ? Sounds like it might not be.

9. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
  10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    G love is actually pretty good.. some real grovvy tunes. Scooby Snacks!!

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    what do you guys think about upright bass in a Rolling Stones/ the Who style of band?

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    There are a lot of guys out there that are doing some crazy things with their uprights. Check out Brian Bromberg.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    just did:eek: I can't believe how he makes playing those lines on upright sound so easy.....

14. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Listen to Chris Wood of Medeski, Martin & Wood (MMW). I dig half of their music. Half of it really grooves. The other half sounds kinda of like space music. Check 'em out.

Joe

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

completely agree. I really admire a bassist that can hold down a groove perfectly, no matter what the other musicians are doing, he reacts and is really on his toes. That is a bass players job. But when they can do that and play some lines that make your jaw hit the floor, that is something else entirely!

16. His work on Alan Broadbent's "'Round Midnight" is quite remarkable. I hear it, but I still can't believe it.

gomez

17. Jacophile

Jacophile

Mar 23, 2006
    Check out Sebastian Steinberg's work with Soul Coughing.

18. mdurell

mdurell

Mar 9, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    Tell me about it... His solo on Groovin' High is nothing short of God-like. This album has recently been added to my Amazon wishlist and I can't wait to hear the rest of it as I've only heard Groovin' High and 'Round Midnight on Sirius 72 (Groovin' High was in pretty heavy rotation there for about a month).

Chris Wood recently released an album with his brother that sounds pretty interesting. More roots-based stuff than anything else but the excerpts I heard from the NPR review certainly has me lusting after a good listen. He can really make the bass groove *AND* cry.

19. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002

i was gonna mention chris wood, but i see he's already mentioned....a funny note, my old bass teacher was chris' bass teacher in high school.....then the teacher just today sent me an email notice that he was changin email addresses so i looked through some of the names and Bob Branstetter's email address was on the list, Branstetter was a (very reputable) luthier that used to post on here alot.

there is a live version of "the wood brother's" taht you can get from www.mmw.net, chris uses Olivs (i think a different E string though) but his bass sounds absolutely awesome for pizz. IMHO. the playing is real bluesy.

yeah chris gets pretty funky but he does play alot on the electric basses too....he is equally skilled on both.
    he's definately one of my favorite players...actually all three of those guys, i like the spaceship music...they like sunra, 'nuff said.

EDIT: oh yeah, i bet this gets moved to a different part of the forums.

20. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Just a heads up while we have the Wood Brothers in discussion....Chris Wood's brother Oliver plays in an Atlanta band called "King Johnson" and that is one smokin' ass bluesy-funky-NOLA style groovin' band. One of my favorites...I talk 'em up every chance I get. The bass player is Chris Long and he's a killer player and singer....don't matter what kinda bass he's playing. Oliver is a great player, singer and writer in his own rite, so I'm sure a "Wood Brothers" project would be wonderful listening.