Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone using two Bergantino HT210's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Nov 30, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Is anybody out there using two Bergantino HT210's?

When I bought my HT322, I was really wanting to get an HT115 and HT210 combination rig, but the price was just outside my funds at the time.

The more I hear about the HT210, the more I think that two of these would be exceptionally nice.
    You could use one for smaller gigs and both for the rest.

My QSC PLX1602 (bridged) does 1000W @ 8ohm and 1600W @ 4ohm. The HT210's are rated at 500W and 8ohm apiece. I think it would be a good match-up.

I really like my HT322, but I suspect that two HT210's would outperform it up and down the sonic spectrum.

If anyone has gigged with a pair of HT210's I would appreciate your impressions of their qualities (good &/or bad).

[I think a pair of Accugroove Tri 112's would also be very sweet. Hopefully, someday I can audition them as well.]

2. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I currently have a 210 and a 115 Berg. Upgraded the 210 to the new crossover and drivers...made a world of difference. I often play with no PA support, thus the need for both cabs. However, twice lately, I've gigged where there was soundman/house PA. The sound guys BEGGED me to turn down...to the point that I could barely hear myself and was not getting booticulate sound onstage. Next gig, I took only the 210 expecting PA support, but the main act had use of ALL PA inputs and the soundman did not want to change any of their settings...so I had to fill the room with only the 210. I had it juiced and it sounded very nice indeed. The soundman said it sounded good in all parts of the room. This experience has led me to wonder what two Berg 210's would sound like. I'm thinking it would be very booticulate. But I suspect that while it would have more punch than the 322, it would not be as full bodied and smooth. Also, since the 322 is a large format cab vs the smaller 210 cab dimensions, I suspect the 322 would be more open and more dynamic. I've noticed this with my Eden 410XLT vs the pair of 210's I used to have (traded for the Bergs). I prefer the bigger cabs, but my back doesn't. I too am curious about a pair of Berg 210's. One sounds great and does the job, I bet two would fill things out nicely. As for the 115, I used to use it when I only needed one cab, but am worried it throws too far in a lot of situations. A 210 and a 12 together minimize the throw/boominess problem inherent with the 115. The 322 is the ideal configuration. Don't trade it for a pair of 210's if you can help it. Get the pair of 10's and compare, then let us know. Bergs rarely show up used, you should be able to sell off what you don't want with little loss.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Josh,

Yeah, I've heard the F1-X with the HT310...very complementary sonic match-up.
    Choosing between the Alembic with the 310 or the Demeter 201S with the HT322 was a really tough decision.

The BE D10BX-D is a really nice cab as well. I haven't gotten to directly A/B the BE and the Berg 210's, but I think the Berg would sound more to my personal tastes. There is still that impedence consideration, too. Hard to go wrong with either. If you can afford two HT210's (or find a couple 2nd hand) that would be an awesome rig.

Life is good for bassists these days.
    Most of us have more good choices than we do funds though.
    That kind of sucks, but it's better than having limited funds and limited choices.

I feel extremely fortunate to have what I do, but I can't help but wonder which side of the fence has the greener grass.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both the HT210 and HT322. I also have the HT115 and HT112. I have used the 210 alone but mostly bring it out with the 15 for outdoor stages. For me, the 210 doesn't come close to the 322 as a stand-alone. The 210 is punchy and sounds great sitting on top of the 15 but doesn't have the low-end extension of the 322 when used alone. That extra 12 and the voicing of the cab really makes the 322 a world beater for me. I've yet to find a better single cab that suits my style, taste, basses, music, etc.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oooooo,

nothin' would rock like a pair of HT210's. lowest range of the bergie lineup, and punchie 10"??? what could be better?

cause the Bergie's have a glossy, almost tubey sound as they are, an SS kinda head or a hifi sounding preamp like a Demeter VTBP or HBP would ROCK with 'em. e.g. my old EA iamp was a perfect complement to my old HT112.

a little OT: whatever you do, DONT get an all tube power amp with it.

i've heard a DB680 / DB728 / HT210 setup with my Sadowsky, and for some reason, its too much tubey flava, like that could ever be bad. sounded too thick and rich, like my notes were wading thru a morass of tubeyness. not nearly as articulate as i would have liked.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Good point.

I almost went with an iAmp-800, but the dealer was several hours away. Turns out, he would have sold it to me on a trial basis. I would have gone for that if I had known that before getting my current system.
    I've got the Dem VTBP-201S and it mates very well with the HT322. I'm still finding small tone tweaks between the pre and my SR5 that help get closer to the sound I'm after. I'll have to check with Larry Morgan's shop here and see if they have a pair of the 210's I could audition at my next gig. I'm thinking that a pair would make a sweet killer rig.

Thanks, Joker.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't used HT210+HT210. But I have used the HT210 with HT115, HT310, and HT212 (not all at once :eek:). All those combos sound groovy, so I think you'd be very happy with HT210+HT210.

For jams and rehearsals (even loud ones) I use just the HT210... has all the girth and punch I need. As boogie said the HT115 provides additional girth, but for boomy rooms I prefer to run all tens.

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Larzito:

Have you tried stacking the 115 on top of the 210 (or an Auralex Gramma) to get rid of some of the unwanted boominess of the 115? I realize that might not help with the throw...but it would definitely cut down on coupling.

I'm thinking of getting a 115, because the combo of 210+115 sounds great in the stores, but if it's too boomy for certain stages I might go for another HT210 instead.

-Aram

EDIT: fixed spelling, added a couple of words...

9. I had the 322 and sold it because it was just to "open" for me and my situations. I required more close range punch. That may sound weird but the 322 while sounding superb to me got lost with my band. I had a hard time hearing myself clearly. I prefer the Ht112/Ex112 combo with either my Demeter 201s QscPlx2402 or my Walter Woods Ultra. Both amps/rigs sound equally as good but different with my Berg NV610 and also great. NV is killer for bigger and or outside gigs.

I was tempted several times to get a HT210 because of the size and punchyness thing. I also considered a 210 for the top of the 322. Glad I didn't for me at least. I would definatley audition a couple of the small Bergs with your rig. Then try them on a Auralex Gramma Pad (here I go again) and really be suprised. Punchy, Deep, Loud, Clear, Articulate! BTW, I always have PA support.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If the stage is so small I can't stand like 6 ft. out in front of my HT322, I have the same problem.
    For awhile I was popping out the rear casters so the cab tilts back. That works pretty good unless I'm really forced to be almost on top of my rig.
    Lately I've been using a metal milk crate which lifts the cab about a foot or so up off the stage. That really helps, even on the tightest stages. [Changes the low end coupling somewhat, but I can compensate with various EQ adjustments.]

Yeah, (been wanting to, but) I still haven't heard a double 1x12 Berg rig yet. Maybe another loan out from Larry M's?

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Fuzz,

When you use the 210 by itself, how do you set it up onstage?

P.S. Actually, any of you guys using a single HT210; same question.

12. Fuzzbass

I use the HT210 by itself for jams/rehearsals only, and for those I leave it on the floor.

If I ever gigged with just the 210 I'd elevate it on milk crates so I could hear it better. But my live bands are pretty loud and I never get PA support so I always put the HT210 on top of another cab (either HT115 or HT310; I no longer own the HT212).

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    lo-freq:

I used the 210 alone at a fairly large gig, and did the same thing Fuzz does: set it up on the floor. I also pushed it back towards the wall, though, and stood out towards the audience as far as I could. It had remarkable presence considering the size of the room. I'd like to have had the extra headroom of another cab though, next time.

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Fuzz, do you notice a big difference in throw between the 210 and 115? Do you have any balance issues with that setup (e.g., one overshadowing the other)?

-Aram

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just set mine on the floor on its side and that works fine. The 210 by itself can fill a pretty big room! Im going to look into one of those gramma pads at some point...

16. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    On its side, eh? Hadn't thought of that...I think i'll try that next time. Thanks Metron.

EDIT: Does it sit right, with the side handle being on the floor? It seems like it might vibrate funny, or move or something...though maybe the gramma would fix that. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Actually the corners are thick enough that it doesnt sit on the handle. No problem there!

18. You won't be disappointed. Lots of uses too, e.g. monitors etc., buffer between amps and top of cabs.

I don't know if the surface of the Gramma would compensate for handles poking out. It's really a simple devise. Carpeted board, two 2" x 4" x 30" pieces of the Aurarlex foam, Auralex baffle in between, carrying handle. What ever the physics of their foam is it works great. I know some people have tried to make them or thought about it, but I never heard any statements as to a finished working home made version. I don't leave for a gig, or a jam without it.

19. Fuzzbass

Regarding balance: I worried about that at first and ran the cabs in stereo so each would have its own volume control. After seeing that the volumes were set pretty much even, I've been powering them with one side of my amp with great result. So, I wouldn't hesitate to run them bridge mono if I needed more power (was that your question? :) )

Unfortunately I can't really compare throw. Lots of reasons: I never get the benefit of PA, we never have full soundcheck before the gig, during the gig I rarely get to walk more than 10 feet away from my amp and most of the time I have to stay within 5 ft of it. But FWIW I've used the pair at rehearsal a couple times, and the 15 does seem to carry the phatness pharther, without turning the tone to woof.

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's exactly my question -- thanks! I run an RMX 2450 bridged into my 210, and was wondering if it would be ill-balanced if I decided to get a 115. I guess Jim designed them to complement one another, so I imagine it would work well without independent volume controls.