1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using Wikiloops for practice?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by EdwardofHuncote, Apr 19, 2015.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    It's been a while now, but another TB'r posted an audio clip a of himself playing a certain riff with a backing track... since then, I have started using these backing tracks for practice playing with unfamiliar musicians. It's like a different jam every day... often I'll just single out mixes with only drums or drums/guitar.

Just wondering - anyone else doing that?

kiwlm likes this.
  2. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    Gonna check that out. I usually find jamtracks on youtube for this kind of practice. Particulary good for practicing bass soloing I think :D

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  3. Blue Moose

Blue Moose

Oct 8, 2009
    I just discovered it yesterday after reading a post on here. I feel a strong addiction coming on already.

4. loOpy

loOpy

May 17, 2015
    Glasgow, Scotland
    This looks promising. I've been scouring Soundcloud and YouTube for beats to practice with lately. I didn't want to drop the cash on a drum machine, and programming beats isn't really my bag. I've fiddled with the auto drummer on garage band, but never got quite what I was looking for, but it's better than a metronome. Tried a few iPad apps too, but again had little luck getting the flexibility/sound/variety I was looking for. Best thing I have ATM is promising my brother beer then having him drum for me :)

Thanks for posting about wikiloops though, as I'd never heard of it till today. Off to spend a few hours looking for grooves :D

5. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Yeah, that guy's great... I have several of his tracks. Another popular drummer on there, who's handle is MrAdamOnDrums is pretty awesome too.

I still haven't uploaded anything to Wikiloops... just lurking, and using for practice. I've given thought to donating a few bucks since I do enjoy it. You just have to be so careful anymore who/what else you're supporting.

loOpy likes this.
  6. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    I just discovered the site myself last week. Already downloaded a few tracks with drums and six-strings.

For someone of my skill level, it's a lot of trial and error figuring out the right notes to play, but it beats trying a real band's patience.

7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Wow! That is a great site! I'm in! I just shared thios with the guys in my band.. the sax player is going to go nuts..

True... but I tend to support sites that I get fromn in most of my pastimes.. I have a few other sites that I routinely support in a small way .. but I hear you man.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. Man
    Man, you just made my day! I have a drum machine but I'm not very good at programming it and I've kind of burnt out on the youtube backing tracks I like. This is awesome! Practice, here I come

9. belzebass

belzebass

Feb 21, 2012
    A huge fan of Wikiloops here. Great way to practice, but get yourself acquoainted with new styles and practice recording.
    Ain't there a club for Wikiloops users here?

10. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I haven't been on there in a while, but for good reason - it's been a good summer for gigs. :thumbsup:

Haven't ever seen a Wikiloops Club... interesting idea.

11. Rob112

Rob112

Sep 9, 2015
    Thank you for making this thread! I enjoyed using it this morning!