1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone voltage starved a B:Assmaster yet?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psound79, Mar 24, 2010.

1. psound79

psound79

Jul 30, 2009
    Wondering how a B:Assmaster responds to voltage starving with something like a Beavis Audio Devolt.

Could I in any way damage mine if I grab a starve unit and do this??

2. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    no, normally you shouldn't be able to damage your components, giving too high voltage would fry them though

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It would probably sound awful. Most circuits do when you voltage starve them.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The brassmaster circuit already sounds 'glitchy' or semi-sputtery when as is...why make is worse or thin it out w/ a voltage starve?

5. Voltage starving is only really useful with guitars. With bass, you just loose headroom and bottom end. However, with guitars, that's not always such a bad thing.

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It won't damage anything. I built a Brassmaster for a TBer, with several mods including voltage starve. I thought it was an interesting control; the effect was not as extreme as on Fuzz Face clones like the Fuzz Factory, etc. It has an interesting effect of emphasizing different vowel-like formants. Putting a higher voltage into it makes some pretty bizarre sounds as well. If you try this with a B:Assmaster, though, I'd check the caps to make sure they're rated for higher voltage. Some builders use 10v electros.

7. psound79

psound79

Jul 30, 2009
    Not enough for my tastes :cool:

Not judging from some of the insane Dwarfcraft Devices videos I've seen.

I'm aiming for wild gated/oscillating tones. Could sound awful to many I suppose.

Cheers for the replies.

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Yeah, I think somebody here (Jared Lash?) made an excellent point recently that it's less useful to say something is terrible than to describe what it would be good for. I'm not saying we need to totally bowdlerize our conversations, but in music, what's terrible to me is almost always great to someone else.

Voltage starving the Brassmaster/B:Assmaster doesn't make it that much glitchier/gated on its own, but combined with an emitter pot and some other tweaks, the starve can do some pretty neat things. It'll never get as weird as Dwarfcraft stuff though.

9. psound79

psound79

Jul 30, 2009
    Great Destroyer here I come then.

10. jrmy

jrmy

Dec 19, 2009
    Rhode Island
  11. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The AB-Synth was kind of "meh". Nad will back me up on this...

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020