Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone wanna critique my band?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mr.Nimrod, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Mr.Nimrod

Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Hey guys-

My band "Whitey and The Jets" just recorded a little cd in my neighbors little home studio. If ya wanna here a couple songs, go to

www.mp3.com/watj

thanks a lot! lemme know what you think!
    -dan

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hey man, listened to all of 'em. Not bad at all.

I won't insult you and try and label it, just know that it's good. The last song was really funny.

The mix isn't the greatest, but hey, it's definitely listenable. The drums could stand to be a bit more prominent and the keys could definitely stand to be a little more subtle...IMO of course:)

All in all, good stuff...good luck with it. And the bass playing was very good...nice tone as well.

Alex

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Undecided - Rhythmically, it's a bit of a nightmare. Like the overall time is OK but seems like as a band you can't decide what rhythms to use (hence the title maybe? :) ). OK, listening to the bridge, the timing isn't so good either :(. Don't know if it's the drummer or what but there are a number of times when not everyone is agreeing on where the beat is. The mix is pretty thick, thought that's not necessarily bad.

Teenage Angst Brigade - noticing the same problems here. I think you and the drummer could work on locking in a little more.

SYR - a bit tighter overall. Your tone comes through a little more too.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Its got a cool vibe. I agree with geshel, it seems with this kinda music the drums need to be alittle more focused and straight ahead. Also the guitar needs to be there more, and less keyboards. Not bad, drums need to be alittle more punchy.
    I like SYR the most.

5. lildrummerboy

lildrummerboy

Sep 1, 2002
    Not bad at all, but the keyboard needs toning down, and your drummer is a dufus, his beats are too simple to be played at punk tempo, either you should get a double bass pedal or get a new drummer. The bass sounded excellent if not a little too subtle, and the guitar is fine but has the same problem as the bass.... less keys! as for the recording it was awesome for a home recording... good job man.

6. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hey man, if it makes you feel any better, that is WAY better than my first attempt at home recording:)

Alex

7. ritalin kid

ritalin kid

Aug 31, 2002
    No. Cal
    Pretty decent for a first venture. Same critiques as the others. Remeber always...More bass

8. Mr.Nimrod

Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    thanks a lot! yea, we had a lot of help from the guy who owned the stuff. but i think he had a little thing for keyboards, cuz they are wayyyy too prominent in the mix.

but we're going into a real studio soon to record a bunch of our new stuff. i'll post some of that when it's done.

-dan